USMLE Forums banner

October 2013 Step 1 Takers

16K views 164 replies 25 participants last post by  nsesereso 
#1 ·
Ok so everyone who is giving their step 1 exam in October let us know where are you in terms of your preparation and how confident you are...

...Go!

P.s also just curious to know from where are you giving the test.

#4 ·
hey well i was suppose to do my exam in Septmber, but due to some ECFMG problems im doing it in october!!!

Did UWSA 1-245...dont think very predictive
NBME 6-231 felt harder then 7th
NBME 7-245
Gonna do UWSA 2 this or next week

#7 ·
So to update you guys . . . . .

i took nbme 11 today and got 600 corresponding 245 . . . .

Still Long path to go . . . half of uworld still remaining . . .

Hoping i can improve it after a week of more uworld random timed and will take another nbme after that . . . . . .

Update your situation guys . . . .i am feeling i am alone doing step 1 in Oct . . . .:scared:

#10 ·
Did UWSA 2 250 last week, wasnt concentrated but overall was ok.
Did today NBME 13 238. got 28 wrong. And most of those wrong were like WTF q's and behavioral.
Did anyone do Kaplan Sim Exam??
Hows everyones progress going so far??

#15 ·
thx for your input ...

i Think for score prediction NBME should be relied on ... But for simulation and practising sake uWSA will be good ...

Do you ppl also tear apart NBME qs after you do nbme .. or only use it for assesment ... as i dont get much time for this .. also explanations nd aswers ppl give can be confusing at times ... !! :confused:

#16 ·
Joining the joy-ride.

Mine is on 22nd of October. Hey choline, I suggest you DO dissect those wrong NBME questions and try to figure out where you're lacking...

By the way, have you people been practicing pictures? Man I'm struggling with that. Whenever a question demands an answer directly from the picture I panic. I wish there was a common book or online source for us to practice. Some of those NBME pictures are just not fair. Histo slides, arteriograms etc. Any thoughts?

#18 ·
So to update . . . .

I have finally regained 80s scoring after a 70s and one 60 patch . . . .. .

Trying to maintain it in uworld . . . .. .

i will try to finish uworld in next week and half and then take nbme . . . ..

So now my uworld Cumulative with mixed random improved to 76% . . . .
hoping momentum continues and get rid of this beast . . .. :plz:

#20 ·
i gave kaplan sim exam 7 hours yesterday..it was tiring..don know whats gonna happen in the real exam..its good for building ur stamina but questions are neither too long nor very difficult..will appreciate input from others :)
Hey! Do they provide a USMLE styled 3 digit score as well? Just curious, am about to start with Kaplan Qbank and i heard the simulation test comes along with it.

#23 ·
You mean they asked to calculate the exact value? That's weird. Then the question must provide precise numbers on the graph. If not, the pattern of FVC/FEV1 (for obstructive vs restrictive disease patterns) can be easily deciphered from the shape of the graph (as explained pretty well in the notes). If you can post up a question that might help.

#26 ·
Exam next month..

Hi im kind of new here...im also taking my exam in october dont have date yet but after taking an nbme ill be able to decide better...right now im doing dit with uworld but its so hard to do dit and uworld together so im having trouble like how to fit in both....im going through some depressive phase at this moment lots of anxiety and trying to study but lets c how things go....will appreciate if u guys can share how u guys cope with stress... Thank you and good luck to all of us..

#27 ·
well i must say its impressive effort that you ppl doing qbank after completing uworld ... i would be happy even if i complete uworld and be able to do the wrong ones again By October mid before my exam ....

Wish i could be that Much hard core Geek !!!
wish you both V goodluvk ...
keep us posted in this thread ...

#28 ·
well i must say its impressive effort that you ppl doing qbank after completing uworld ... i would be happy even if i complete uworld and be able to do the wrong ones again By October mid before my exam ....

Wish i could be that Much hard core Geek !!!
wish you both V goodluvk ...
keep us posted in this thread ...
thanks n good luck to u as well:) kaplan qbank is easier than uworld doesnt tak that much time..hopefully we all can wind up things at the right time..:eek:

#30 ·
Anyone doing Exam on first week of october??? Hows everyones scores on NBMEs/UWSA.

Did last week NBME 13---238, felt harder then NBME 7 (got 245)

UWSA score is not predictive i think. i got much higher then on NBMEs.,,,but i agree is a very good practice!!

#34 ·
Hello people

Thank u for such an encouraging post ...Also planning to take my exam in October ...( Actually was supposed to do it this month , but when i took my nmbe13 last week my score was 224 ,i was devestated and cancelled apointment ) Now i subscribed uw again , and started reading first aid,
My performance in Biochem,genetics,behavioral sciences was low in the nmbe i took
Any advice please ? shall i better do kaplan qbank cz i havent done it before ? shall i listen to DIT ? Would very much appreciate any advice
Thank u and best of luck to all of us

#37 ·
Thank u for such an encouraging post ...Also planning to take my exam in October ...( Actually was supposed to do it this month , but when i took my nmbe13 last week my score was 224 ,i was devestated and cancelled apointment ) Now i subscribed uw again , and started reading first aid,
My performance in Biochem,genetics,behavioral sciences was low in the nmbe i took
Any advice please ? shall i better do kaplan qbank cz i havent done it before ? shall i listen to DIT ? Would very much appreciate any advice
Thank u and best of luck to all of us
I wouldnt have delayed my exam if I were you after getting 224. But now that you have done it stick to the date you are going to give the exam and improve on your weaker areas.

#36 ·
@dede

My view point regarding your situation is Do FA once more wether its with DIT or not ... its upto you ... DIt may help ... But imp is a good solid insightful reading of FA and then revise uworld again .... But others can only give you there view point ... Its only you who can understand your situation better than others ...
so do what your heart says will bemefit you most from others advise ...
Goodluckkk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.