USMLE Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cancelling the exam does not count as an attempt

73K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  doctor2k14 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We've seen many members asking the same question repeatedly. Therefore, I thought let me give some facts about this.

We are talking here about not taking the exam even after extending the eligibility period, i.e., you signed up for the first three months eligibility period and then you extended to another three months and yet you did not take the exam.

Here's the deal:
If you don't go to the Prometric Center, you are not counted as having had a USMLE step attempt regardless of whether you officially cancelled your date with Prometric and/or ECFMG and/or NBME.

Exam attempts are considered only when you actually go to the Prometric center and register for the exam.

If you are still skeptical about what am saying, here's an excerpt from the official USMLE Bulletin
Except as otherwise specified below, to receive a score on Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3, you must begin every block of the test. If you do not begin every block, no results are reported, and the "incomplete examination" attempt appears on your USMLE transcript. If you register for but do not begin an examination, no record of the test will appear on your transcript.

Ref: Scoring & Score Reporting | USMLE
Q) Would cancelling affect my residency matching profile?
A) No. It won't be reported and it does not affect your chances.

Q) Would it be considered incomplete attempt?
A) No. Only if you go to Prometric center and register and start the exam and then you leave mid exam, only then it's considered incomplete attempt.

Q) Would incomplete attempts bad for my record?
A) Yes. It's considered a failed attempt.

Q) What are the disadvantages of cancelling a USMLE Exam then?
A) You lose the money. You have to pay the fees again. That's the only disadvantage.

Note that what's mentioned above still holds true even in the face of the new rules of limited attempts and minimum spacing posted in the ECFMG website respectively here
ECFMG News | New Rules on Repeating USMLE Examinations: Time between Examination Attempts
ECFMG News | New Attempt Limit for USMLE Examinations

-

See less See more
#3 ·
hello steptaker
i cancelled my exam in november
now i wish to schedule it again
do i need to fill the entire application again
i know that i have to pay the fees again
Yes. You need to re-apply and repeat the entire process again, including the online application and the fees.
But you don't need to re-verify your Form 186 or credentials if you have them valid with ECFMG/NBME.

-

#4 ·
is it true??

Is this true? I read it on the bulletin too, I t mentions that even if you register for but do not begin then no record of the test will appear on the transcript...is it like nothing mentioned or a statement "No record of the test" on your transcript???please reply soon...really worried :(

#5 ·
Is this true? I read it on the bulletin too, I t mentions that even if you register for but do not begin then no record of the test will appear on the transcript...is it like nothing mentioned or a statement "No record of the test" on your transcript???please reply soon...really worried :(
Yes its true.
It means nothing mentioned. It means you have not taken the test.
I think StepTaker repeatedly emphasized this point in the original post above and also the official USMLE website has made it very clear.
So am going to say it again.
If you don't begin the test on the computer, you have no record of attempting the exam, nothing, just like as if you did not apply.

-

#7 · (Edited)
I have a doubt, I extended my eligibility period from apr-june to july-sept in 2011 but i dint take exam, i cancelled my appointment on Sept 21. Prometric didn't send me any email saying i cancelled my date. Now i want to reschedule for my exam, when i opened my OASIS under score report information it is mentioned
EXAM DATE: Did not schedule and/or did not take the exam
SCORE REPORT DATE: Nov 9th 2011
I'm so confused what did that mean, why did they put up score report date when i didn't even take the exam can you pls tell me what it means?
I'm so worried.

#13 ·
Good News.. :D

I just received an official email from ECFMG...and yes it also says that once u register and still not appear for the test, its not counted as Step...nth related to it will appear on Transcript...it wil stay in records with ECFMG though...but that doesn't make any difference...only draw back is we loose money...well that is loss but nothing compared to a red mark on the Transcript which would then doom the possibility of getting a residency in US...and also since they already have Form 186 from previous documents submiyyed during prior registration..we only need to fill in online part of the application...i have cited all the information from the official ECFMG mail i have recieved, I hope this will be helpful to those who are not able to schedule or take the test within the given eligibility period due to various unavoidable reasons. :) I wish good luck to all the aspiring candidates :D

#14 ·
Transcript

Hi,

I just have a (possibly naive) question.

From the above, I fully understand and am convinced that the "USMLE transcript" will have absolutely no mention if the exam is not taken at all.

What I want to ask is: I assume it is the ECFMG that sends the USMLE transcript to the medical schools to which we apply? Is that correct ? Is the transcript the *ONLY* document which ECFMG sends to the medical school? Is there any (remote) possibility that ECFMG also sends some other documents to the school ? (e.g., information regarding how many times the applicant registered for the exam ?)

#15 ·
Hi,

I just have a (possibly naive) question.

From the above, I fully understand and am convinced that the "USMLE transcript" will have absolutely no mention if the exam is not taken at all.

What I want to ask is: I assume it is the ECFMG that sends the USMLE transcript to the medical schools to which we apply? Is that correct ? Is the transcript the *ONLY* document which ECFMG sends to the medical school? Is there any (remote) possibility that ECFMG also sends some other documents to the school ? (e.g., information regarding how many times the applicant registered for the exam ?)
If you don't go to the Prometric center, it's not considered an attempt, it's not even considered incomplete attempt.
If you go the Prometric center and leave in the middle of exam, it will be recorded as incomplete attempt.
For official information on what the USMLE Transcript includes (this is what they send to med schools) have a look here
http://www.usmle.org/bulletin/scores/#transcripts

-

#16 ·
hey i had booked my eligbilty period last yr from may to july and didnt take the exam and lost the money . my currenty eligbilty period end in aug and exam is scehduled for 28th .. am thinkin of cancelling it ..

was wondering r thr ny limits as to how mny times u can apply for the exam widout takin it ??
and also does t show or effect ur application when applying for residency ??

#17 ·
hey i had booked my eligbilty period last yr from may to july and didnt take the exam and lost the money . my currenty eligbilty period end in aug and exam is scehduled for 28th .. am thinkin of cancelling it ..

was wondering r thr ny limits as to how mny times u can apply for the exam widout takin it ??
and also does t show or effect ur application when applying for residency ??
There is no limit and it does not show up in your transcript.

-

#18 ·
thanx for clarifying every thing ...
sorry but one more thing, i have the same problem and i already extend my illegibility one time ... its will be in next 13 days,, unfortunately i can't taking the exam also..
so do i need to cancel it ? or just not appear is enough ?
i know i'll lose my money ,, and i'll submit a new one ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.