USMLE Forums Scout

Steps History: 1 + CS
Threads: 1
Unhappy Terrible Step 2 CK Experience Today

I just wrote my step 2 ck today and found it very difficult. For my prep I did:

Studied 3 months
Read MTB2 x4
Watched Kaplan Cardio lecs only
UWorld 1.5x: 60% (first time around) I was getting 70% on random blocks my second time
UWSA 1: 211 (3 weeks before exam)
Free 150 Q's" 80% (2 days before exam)

I know that I'm not the smartest, but I really thought I knew enough to do alright on this test. There were so many questions that asked "what is the next most appropriate step?" - which were hard for me. In my practice exams and uworld I remember a lot of "best initial test", "most accurate test", "best initial therapy," etc. So, there many questions where I just wasn't sure what the most appropriate next step was. A lot of the questions had twists on common scenarios that were different from what I was used to in the practice questions and that made me think twice about what the next most appropriate thing to do was.

I had drug-ads on 5 blocks (each time 2 questions and one time it had 3 questions); I always left drug ads till the end and usually i ended up rushing through them (most of them were actually easy and few were hard).

The majority of the time I had it down to two choices and just had to guess at the right one. My first 2 blocks, I rated as very hard. The rest of the blocks I thought were Medium, and one seemed easy. A few times, the block would start out easy (i would be confident in my answers for like the first 10 questions) and then all of a sudden get very difficult and I would be guessing between 2 choices.

There were some freebie questions obviously, including 2 questions i recognized that were almost same as from the Free 150 questions.

The test covered pretty much little bit of everything and asked some things in some very ingenious ways lol; I think maybe i went into this exam thinking it wouldn't be so bad and it turned out to be very bad.

All in all, I found the test very difficult; timing was OK; not that many long questions actually (I was expecting more long questions); It seemed much harder to me than the UWSA 1. Not trying to scare anyone, I think I just didn't prep well enough maybe; maybe I should've done more NBME practice tests.

So bummed out ... can anyone who's written the test recently relate to this experience? I keep reading bout how everyone aced it and thought it was easy ...
The above post was thanked by:
mcc-usmle (01-25-2014), usmle5 (02-09-2014)