USMLE Forums banner

98/227.. is it Good Enough?

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  heman466s 
#1 ·
Hey guys!!
I just received my score for step 1!! its 98/227.. how is the score?? can i get pediatrics with this??:happy:

#3 ·
Hey Shikha, congratss! You got a 98 and that is amazing, keep it up and you will definately get peds. I was looking forward to your score as I have the exact same scores as you in both uwsa's and uw. Now seeing your score has given me motivation to continue:) Good luck with step 2 and now go celebrateee!

#8 ·
Congrats!

Hi Shikha,

First of all, CONGRATS! That is a great score! :D

I was reading some of your posts and I noticed that you said you took NBME 7 like 9 days before your actual exam it gave you a predicted score of 220...so, I was wondering if you can please share with us what did you do during those 9 days (review FA, did uworld, etc.) that made you score jump up 8 points on the real exam? Also, please let us know if there were any other factors that you think might have helped you in that jump (ex: good night sleep before the real exam, the questions on the real exam were easier, there were some repeated questions on the real exam, or maybe your favorite subjects were tested more heavily on the real exam). Also, did you do the free 150 questions? (if so, when did you do it and what was your % correct on those and the predicted score on those).:sorry:

Sorry for the long post, but I am in the situation you were before your exam...so, I want to know what to do for the last a few days before the exam so that my score can improve!

Again congrats and thanks for your help! :D

#10 ·
well i tuk nbme 7 9 days before exam n got a score of 220.. then i saw what r my weak points n started revising them from FA.. Also i did neuroanat n pharma from kaplan again.. i tuk nbme 6 n again i got a score of 220.. i kept on revising FA n din study much during the last 2 days.. last day i jus read the things which u nida memorise like autosomal dominant n recessive diseases, storage disorders n all.. N u really nis a gud sleep before the exam.. while going to the prometric centre i jus looked at the rapid review in the last pages of FA.. n it really helps..
During the exams i felt the first four blocks were quite easy.. much easier than uworld or nbme.. but the last 3 blocks were a bit difficult.. eventually i ended up with this score.. REvise ur weak points.. do the uworld again for the topics u r weak in.. n yea i did the free 150 questions but i did them 3 months earlier.. i think u shud do tht after doing 1 nbme.. if u got any more queries feel free to ask.. m obliged to reply

#11 ·
Thanks

Thanks Shikha for your reply,

I had a few more questions if you can please help me out. I was wondering if you can please tell me some more detail about the exam questions...for example:

1. The length of the questions (longer the uworld questions or same)?
2. Difficulty of the questions (more difficult than nbmes...especially nbme 7)? Which nbme form would you say had the most similar difficulty as the real exam?
3. Would you say that nbme 7 had similar difficulty and style as the real exam?
4. Were there any repeated questions on your exam from the nmbe forms? If so, how many and which forms?
5. how many audio/visual and pics did you get? What you recommend to study for the pics and where to listen to the audios?
6. Enough time to finish the questions? So, if I finish nbme 7 on time or with some time to spare will I be in similar time zone on the real exam (of course I understand that anxiety of the real exam may take away a few minutes)

And anything else that you can remember about the questions...it would really help me... I am very scared about how the real questions will be in format and difficulty?:sorry:

Again sorry for a lot of questions but I am panicking as I am getting closer to my exam...and my score seem to very similar to yours so I think it will help me out a lot to find out about your experience. Thanks again!:D

#17 ·
sorry for delay

hey guys!! sry for the delay!! was busy looking for observership and all.. no luck though..
I took around 6 months to prepare..
Ist i started with lectures and theory together.. after finishing 1ce i started doing u world and read kaplan for the second time.. scored in between 60 to 70s in uworld papers.. Then started doing first aid.. u should start reading first aid early..
n also you should make notes from uworld in your kaplan lecture notes and review them when u read for the second time.
Patho should be done from goljan according to me..
Go for nbmes 1 month before exams and see your weak areas and work on it..
Exams are more like nbme.. there were 7 to 8 questions related to heart sounds. and there were many pictures of skin lesions and musuloskeletal system.. I did very bad in them.. Please be thorough with these systems..
Question lengths were variable.. more like uworld.
Questions were easier then nbme 7..
and ya i got 2 questions from nbme 6.. not exactly same but with the same xray and audio
I guess uworld is good enough for pictures and audios..
Ya u get enough time..
I also had around 10 mins to spare in each block.

#18 ·
Congrats shikha.
I read many test takers saying that time was enough and they had 10 minutes spared for revision,however i tried my best to be fast in exam but still could not revise marked questions??Is it due to variation in individual testing items lengths or what?
P.S:I am not a slow reader

#19 ·
time

@dr_sherani: well i dont think its variation in individual testing items length.. Well during the real exam we have a tendency to read the question again n again n more thoroughly so that we dont make the mistake.. May be you lost your time this way..
;):)

#20 ·
thanks shikha for reply.I think you are right and also may b i wasted too much time in few questions (some like 3 to 5 minutes ) :scared:.I was trying to be too careful in real exam to avoid any mistakes but in doing so ended up with less time ,made easy mistakes and could not revise marked questions.Now all i can do is pray ,pray and pray :confused: . God at least ,give me the marks i got in nbme. :))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.