Old 03-31-2011
USMLE Forums Master

Steps History: Not yet
Threads: 69
Thanked 1,071 Times in 353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
B Sounds right..

First thought of Retinoapthy, without looking at hte pictures / choices.. but then I realized the button appearance is characteristic of open angle.

E) Hydrocephalus doesn't make sense, because this woman is 65 lol
Good to know about the button appearance, I didn't know that and don't remember seeing a picture like that. I kinda thought it wasn't retinopathy because I associate that with retinal blood vessels (like in diabetic retinopathy)...but I don't understand retinopathy that well.

Note that E is normal pressure hydrocephalus, which is a disease of the elderly (Goljan said his mother has it). It relates to overproduction of CSF so you get dilated ventricles and loss of frontal lobe tissue leading to dementia, which Goljan's mom also has. You can put in a shunt to drain the excess fluid, but in his mom's case they didn't do it because it was too risky, and the pressure eventually normalizes anyway.

(I wish I could remember the important stuff he says the way I remember his little stories )
The above post was thanked by:
aktorque (03-31-2011), Amenah (04-02-2011), audrina (08-17-2013), im99 (03-31-2011), vikash (04-01-2011)