View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011
USMLE Forums Addict

Steps History: Not yet
Threads: 20
Smile examtaker step 1 experience

Step 1 over....yeahhhhh

ok, now my experience...

1. start your prep early..i started in jan 2011...rite after my final exams...

books used..
1. kaplan step 1 lecture notes
2. FA
3. Goljan path

thats it...i did not read anything else...actually i came to know about all other books through this forum only...and by the time it was too late to start reading something new...anyhow..

i started with u world...in April..bought it for 3 months..
did all the questions timed and unused...i ended up with 63%...then i did all my wrong question and the percentage raised up to 73%
and then i did it again and again..till the time it got expired...

ok .... this is for all the people out there....who are not getting good scores on uworld...please please please dont take it as a test...take it as a learning experience...you will learn a lot...read all the explanations..dont make a different notebook....you can just add points to your FA...so that in the end you dont waste time...and just flip through FA...

i strongly recommend do uworld...subject wise...even chapter wise...makes ur concepts strong...i felt that i should have done it that way....

dont be disheartened by seeing posts of people saying .... uworld aggregate 77% or maybe 83%...cause you never know when did the person start giving u world/...i mean i started it within 4 months or so...

dont go by people saying u world %age increases with a week..month...or whatever...even if it doesn't...don't overdo yourself...
at the end of the day...remember it is a learning tool....

ok .... after that i gave a series of nbme's (offline and online) and uwsa 1 and 2 and the free 150...
the scores are as follows..
nbme 2, 3, 4, 6...were offline %age correct were in between 75-79% correct..( u can never be sure of the key) try looking for online discussions...

uwsa 1...228
uwsa 2...230
nbme 5...221
nbme 12 ... 212
nbme 11 ...205

free 150...79% correct...239 as estimated medfriends...

as you can see...my performance degraded down as i studied more...actually i was doing ok...till the time i extended my date by 13 days...
i felt pathetic studying....i had this feeling that i cant study more...i felt like puking...all the time....

the reason behind this was a poor nbme performance...well..

in the last few days...i just read important things...i usually tend to forget...
did not even had the energy to read FA again...

i would again recommend even take nbme as a study tool...the graph which comes in the end...focus on your weak areas...
read it again...

i read kaplan around 3-4 times...i read FA ..i do not know...multiple endless times...i guess i am not the conceptual kinds..i was always the mugging kinds..:P
now for the exam...

the exam was well...as everyone says ...doable...the questions were mixed...i am sure i made some silly mistakes...as i always do...
i had 3 or maybe 4 questions from nbme 11/12 ....i dont remember the questions thought...
i reached the center 30 mins before...took breaks after each block...small bathroom breaks...ate chocolates...had a lot of coke...:P

all i would like to say is...i really dont know how much would i score...i always wanted to do internal medicine...< dream>

i hope my post is helpful...i am sorry ...i am not the of ones telling you about great scores ( although i always wanted to be ) bt well...i guess everyone cannot get a 99...

lets see what is there in my fate...
if there is any question...please post it...i would be really happy to answer...
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (09-13-2011), Amenah (09-30-2011), DocSikorski (09-13-2011), donofitaly (09-13-2011), Hope2Pass (09-13-2011), ispy (09-30-2011), jaimin (09-13-2011), pass7 (09-13-2011), salz (09-14-2011), savleem (09-29-2011), sibb (09-13-2011), tootsie (09-13-2011), Valkyrie (09-30-2011), whocares13 (09-13-2011)