Different First and Last Name - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum > ECFMG Forum

ECFMG Forum Discuss issues about ECFMG application and related IMG questions.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-28-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Registration Different First and Last Name

When I registered first, I typed my first and last name as Mohammad Gad, but my full name is MOHAMMAD ABDELWAHHAB HEMEDA GAD on my passport and medical diploma and transcript, so what's the best should I do? send a letter from the dean affirming that the name on the document "photocopy of my passport" and the name in ECFMG record belong to one and the same person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 02-28-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,160 Times in 1,567 Posts
Reputation: 5256
Arrow You need to submit form 182

No, since your name is exactly similar in your Diploma, Transcript, and Passport and the only difference is the ECFMG record then you need to submit Form 182.

Download it here
http://www.ecfmg.org/forms/form182.pdf

Read the instructions in it carefully and also send them supporting documents such as a copy of your passport.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-28-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

But hey, i didn't change my name legally to send form 182, in ECFMG booklet of information 2011 it's said if my name in ECFMG record doesn't exactly match the name on my passport or credentials, i can send a letter signed by the dean affirming that i'm the same person, what's ur say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 02-28-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,160 Times in 1,567 Posts
Reputation: 5256
Arrow Let me clarify further

If there's a difference between your med school papers and your other legal documents (passport) then your dean can write a letter.

But this is not the case with you. Your case is that your passport and med school papers have the same name, your dean has nothing to do for you.

You should contact the ECFMG and tell them that you have been (WRONG) when you registered and you want to change your name in their records. The way to do that is by Form 182.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-28-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

hmm, ok thanks man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-28-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

with form 182, i shall send a photocopy of my passport, that's enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-01-2011
good_boy_1234's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 546
Threads: 91
Thanked 339 Times in 149 Posts
Reputation: 385
Default

Sorry StepTaker,

I have asked ECFMG personally about this issue,
They don't care about middle name if it (they consider everything between first & last name as a middle name.
Even I gave them an example :
If my ECFMG records :
First name : John Sami (since you put your father's name in the first name)
Last name : Cena

Whereas your name in Diploma is : John Sami George Cena

ECFMG will not make a problem & consider them the same.
So MidoUSMLE you don't need to change your name !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
msdarwich (09-01-2015), StepTaker (03-01-2011)
  #8  
Old 03-01-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,160 Times in 1,567 Posts
Reputation: 5256
Default Better to change it

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 View Post
Sorry StepTaker, ...
You don't need to apologize! we are all here to help each other and am glad you brought another idea.
However, I still think it's safer that he changes his records in the ECFMG, the ECFMG records will stay with him for the rest of his career in USA and it's a good idea to have it straightened out even though he has no problem.
In addition, the process of changing it is not cumbersome, just send Form 182 and they'll do it.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-01-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

My name in ECFMG record is : Family name/surname: Gad, Firstname/last name or initial: Mohammad. my name on the passport is MOHAMMAD ABDELWAHHAB HEMEDA GAD. And when i ask my school to translate my medical diploma and transcript, i will ask them to write my name the same as on my passport.
So, are you sure, Goodboy, it's fine?? i didn't type any middle names of mine after my first name in the first name/middle name or initial space, Are you sure? please, i'm confused, and ECFMG drives me nut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-17-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Similar Problem

Hello:Hello:

Thank you all, for making this process easier to all of us confused IMG's all around the world!!!hank you all, for making this process easier to all of us confused IMG's all around the world!!!

I have a similar problem, I have different names on my passport and documents and on my medical diploma, this is because I have 2 citizenships, and 2 birth certificates, the only difference is that in the mexican certificate I have 2 last names, and I have a slight difference in my ECFMG account. have a similar problem, I have different names on my passport and documents and on my medical diploma, this is because I have 2 citizenships, and 2 birth certificates, the only difference is that in the mexican certificate I have 2 last names, and I have a slight difference in my ECFMG account.
ECFMG Ac: Mary A. Smith Mex C: Mary Anne Smith Torres American C: Mary Anne Smith.....

So what should I do, I'm am in the process of Step 1 application, so I have not yet submited my 186 form. Should I send the 182 and change it to the legal american complete name: Mary Anne Smith, and send a letter from the dean, validating the diploma??? I would really like to have my complete name on my records???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 08-19-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

My name in ECFMG record is Mohammad Gad, and on my passport and medical diploma Mohammad Abdelwahhab Hemeda Gad. I didn't have to send form 182 because the middle name/names can be dropped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 08-19-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

Check the prometric website. There're guidelines for such ambiguities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 08-19-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

So you better use your American passport. The Mexican one comprises 2 last names which violates the terms of ECMFG, to the best of my knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mar_isa (08-19-2011)
  #14  
Old 08-19-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Wink Thank you!

Ok so I called ECFMG, and they said that they know that in mexico they issue the diploma with 2 last names, so that isn't an issue for them, and if I wanted to send the 182 form to have my complete name on my records it would be up to me.

Thank you for your answers, it helps me see a little light in the middle of such insecurity!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 08-20-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_isa View Post
Ok so I called ECFMG, and they said that they know that in mexico they issue the diploma with 2 last names, so that isn't an issue for them, and if I wanted to send the 182 form to have my complete name on my records it would be up to me.

Thank you for your answers, it helps me see a little light in the middle of such insecurity!!!
You're most welcome :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 08-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default i kinda hav da same prob

hi..
my passport name and da name i put on da ecfmg certification are also different.I hav 2 citizenships so 2 passports.On both the passports my name is Zohra Sarfraz Chaudhry.this is my legal name my birth certificate and almost every legal document have this name so i put this name on the ecfmg site.
But da name on my medical diploma is just Zohra Sarfraz and i stil have to send my application form for step1. So what shud i do?? do i need a verification letter from my dean??
would really appreciate some help..thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 08-31-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Response to i kinda hav da same prob

Ok so help me understand, the name you have on your medical certificate is missing Chaudhry, is this your middle name and why doesn't your medical certificate have it? If it is your middle name, ECFMG doesn't have a problem with that, and from my experience they are tolerant with format from others countries. If everything else is the same I don't think that will be a problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 09-02-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_isa View Post
Ok so help me understand, the name you have on your medical certificate is missing Chaudhry, is this your middle name and why doesn't your medical certificate have it? If it is your middle name, ECFMG doesn't have a problem with that, and from my experience they are tolerant with format from others countries. If everything else is the same I don't think that will be a problem!
Yes.Its missing chaudhry which is my family name.My high school result card was missing chaudhry as wel.A mistake they made then but i din really care then cuz i thought it wasnt a big deal but now i realize it is.Wel now my name cannot be changed on my medical diploma ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 09-02-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

I think you need send form 182, or send a dean's letter affirming that the person whose name is on the medical diploma is the same one whose name is in the passport. Contact ECFMG. Read ECFMG booklet of information. Last name matters. Middle name/names doesn't/don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 09-02-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

I think that the letter from your dean is your best option, since it is your Family name, and that name is correct on all the rest of your documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 11-03-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Listening Should I change my name?

Hi, I'm Cecilia and I'm concerned because I got married and my name changed, I took my husband's last name and my Diploma has my maiden name... Which should I use for ECFMG?
thanks for answering me :sorry:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 11-04-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Arrow reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrely View Post
Hi, I'm Cecilia and I'm concerned because I got married and my name changed, I took my husband's last name and my Diploma has my maiden name... Which should I use for ECFMG?
thanks for answering me :sorry:

Hi... well I sugest you use the name that you will have on all your official documents, if you have not submitted an application, you should choose the name that you will be using from now on... if you have submitted your maiden name to ECFMG than I suggest for you to REQUEST A NAME CHANGE it appears on the first page on OASIS and send form 182.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 03-29-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 12
Threads: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Name

Hello. I am from Pakistan. I intend to register with ecfmg to take usmle step 1. My full name is Abdul Majid Khan which is also written on my passport and national identity card. But on my M.B.B.S. (Medical degree) my name is Abdul Majid. Khan is not written on my degree. Will it affect my registeration? What should I write for applying ecfmg? Abdul Majid Khan ( passport and I'd card name) or Abdul Majid ( written on my degree) . Any solutions? Please help me out.. And will it be a problem in applying for residency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 04-20-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

hello everyone,
i have given my name to ecfmg as arshad(first name) muneerudeen(last name).
my name in passport is arshad muneerudeen(first name). the last name part is left blank.
are there any issues with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 04-20-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

hello everyone,
the name i have given to ecfmg is Arshad(first name) muneerudeen(last name).
my name in passport is Arshad muneerudeen(first name). the last name part is left blank.
will this be a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 04-22-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 14
Threads: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default regarding name issue on form 186

hi in my ecfmg record my name is vagdevi samineni, vagdevi is my first name and samineni is my surname.


in my medical diploma it is samineni vagdevi ...as in india we have surname first in all documents.

in form 186 also i got the name as vagdevi samineni.

does this change in sequence matter?if so what should i do?pls reply me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 05-22-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 View Post
Sorry StepTaker,

I have asked ECFMG personally about this issue,
They don't care about middle name if it (they consider everything between first & last name as a middle name.
Even I gave them an example :
If my ECFMG records :
First name : John Sami (since you put your father's name in the first name)
Last name : Cena

Whereas your name in Diploma is : John Sami George Cena

ECFMG will not make a problem & consider them the same.
So MidoUSMLE you don't need to change your name !!
Did you have George on your passport as a middle name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 05-22-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default name on diploma not exactly as name on passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 View Post
Sorry StepTaker,

I have asked ECFMG personally about this issue,
They don't care about middle name if it (they consider everything between first & last name as a middle name.
Even I gave them an example :
If my ECFMG records :
First name : John Sami (since you put your father's name in the first name)
Last name : Cena

Whereas your name in Diploma is : John Sami George Cena

ECFMG will not make a problem & consider them the same.
So MidoUSMLE you don't need to change your name !!
On diploma they added my father first name after my first name
For example
On passport and ecfmg id the first name Mohamed saeed and last name Karim
On diploma the full name listed as Mohamed saeed Ahmad Ali Karim
Do you think this is a problem ?

Last edited by msdarwich; 05-22-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 07-23-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Hellllp plz!!

hi everyone
i have a similar problem iam from sudan and we dont use first/last name in sudan only full name . my full name is nahla ahmed elnour and whenever i have to use use first/last name in official papers i go with first name :nahla last name: elnour the problem is in my passport my first name is: nahla and last name: ahmed elnour and this is how i wrote my name in ecfmg my name in my diploma is written as full name i dont know if this is going to be a problem and i dont feel comfortable that my name for the rest of my career is going to be this way do you think i shoud change it????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 07-23-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 8
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Thumbs Up first and last name

Hollo friend,
Your full name is MOHAMMAD ABDELWAHHAB HEMEDA GAD,realy it is so long name.You should type your first name is MOHAMMAD and last name isHEMEDA.
Swakhar sheel
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 03-24-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default name issue

my name on permit is afreena qureshi
and on passport is
Given name : AFREENA
Surname: QURESHi

wil it make any difference???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 03-29-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 300
Threads: 5
Thanked 245 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.afrina View Post
my name on permit is afreena qureshi
and on passport is
Given name : AFREENA
Surname: QURESHi

wil it make any difference???
You mean with regard to capitals? As long as they spell the same you should be okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.afrina (03-29-2016)
  #33  
Old 03-29-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default no capslock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrp View Post
You mean with regard to capitals? As long as they spell the same you should be okay.
hi dsrp
its actually like my name on permit is AFREENA QURESHI (altogether)
but in passport there are two name
one category is given name: AFREENA
and second family/surname : QURESHI
i meant in passport its not written together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 03-29-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 300
Threads: 5
Thanked 245 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.afrina View Post
hi dsrp
its actually like my name on permit is AFREENA QURESHI (altogether)
but in passport there are two name
one category is given name: AFREENA
and second family/surname : QURESHI
i meant in passport its not written together
That's absolutely fine. Its the same for everyone. Scheduling permit does not list the given and surname seperately like passport or other identification. Its just understood by convention that the 1st word is given name and 2nd word is surname.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.afrina (03-29-2016)
  #35  
Old 04-10-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 18
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Name prob here as well !!!!!

Hello guys.. i kinda have the same prob, the only difference is that my application got rejected as I didn't ask around much before submitting. My names on passport and ecfmg record match but the name on degree doesn't. A friend had the same prob and he sent a letter from uni stating the name on degree and passport belong to same person and his application got accepted, I did that too and mine got rejected. In the rejection letter it says provide us with a document stating that the name on ecfmg record and degree belong to the same person and to reapply. My form 186 was accepted and is valid. Now Do I need to fill in the online part again or send the documents again or talk to them on phone or what? Really confused, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 04-10-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 300
Threads: 5
Thanked 245 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM412 View Post
Hello guys.. i kinda have the same prob, the only difference is that my application got rejected as I didn't ask around much before submitting. My names on passport and ecfmg record match but the name on degree doesn't. A friend had the same prob and he sent a letter from uni stating the name on degree and passport belong to same person and his application got accepted, I did that too and mine got rejected. In the rejection letter it says provide us with a document stating that the name on ecfmg record and degree belong to the same person and to reapply. My form 186 was accepted and is valid. Now Do I need to fill in the online part again or send the documents again or talk to them on phone or what? Really confused, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You have to do the online application again if your exam application is rejected (after ECFMG looks at your diploma and form 186, form 186 is validated if it matches a previous template from your college. After form 186 valid, ECFMG has to re-verify the info on valid form 186, diploma and the online application. If anything does not match, your application would be rejected). When you paid for the exam already, the money would be in your ecfmg account. You just have to apply online again and send the letter verifying the name ( it has to be same in ecfmg record and diploma. ECMFG assumes by default that your name in the passport is the correct legal name. Not sure about the content of the previous latter you submitted, but make sure the wording is same as given in the website as they are very specific about it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
BAM412 (04-10-2016)
  #37  
Old 04-10-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 18
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

The previous letter stated that the names on degree and passport are same, didn't mention anything about the name on ecfmg record in that letter. The rejection letter wants me to send in a letter from uni comparing my degree name to the ecfmg record name and not the passport. Yes the fees was credited. Can I change my triplet period now since I'm sending the online part again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38  
Old 04-10-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 300
Threads: 5
Thanked 245 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM412 View Post
The previous letter stated that the names on degree and passport are same, didn't mention anything about the name on ecfmg record in that letter. The rejection letter wants me to send in a letter from uni comparing my degree name to the ecfmg record name and not the passport. Yes the fees was credited. Can I change my triplet period now since I'm sending the online part again?
I am not sure I completely understand you with regard to the letter. Its best not to include words like passport or ecfmg record or degree on the letter you submit. This is from the ecfmg booklet and its best if you can get the letter stating this,
Using an example where name of the degree is Randy G and on ecfmg record is Randy Greg",

This certifies that the names "Randy G" and "Randy Greg" belong to one and the same person.

That's it.

Yes, I believe you will have the chance to put a different three month eligibilty period as you will be starting the application again (not a 100% sure about this though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39  
Old 04-10-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 18
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Alright. Thanks a lot (y)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40  
Old 04-11-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Search

Hi everyone
i typed my name first/middle ahmed moustafa -- last elkhashen
While in the passport it is ahmed moustafa ahmed anter elkhashen
And now I'm applying to step 1 exam and completed the online part and preparing the other part and 183 form cause I'm a student, so should i send 182 form along the papers to request a correction or send it later after the schedule permit and request a revised schedule permit ... Help please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41  
Old 04-11-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 300
Threads: 5
Thanked 245 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad alkhshen View Post
Hi everyone
i typed my name first/middle ahmed moustafa -- last elkhashen
While in the passport it is ahmed moustafa ahmed anter elkhashen
And now I'm applying to step 1 exam and completed the online part and preparing the other part and 183 form cause I'm a student, so should i send 182 form along the papers to request a correction or send it later after the schedule permit and request a revised schedule permit ... Help please
So you missed "ahmed anter" in your last name while doing the online appplication?
You should definitely start the process for changing the name in your ecfmg record if it doesn't exactly match the passport or other acceptable national identification. If the name on scheduling permit (=name on ecfmg record) does not match that in the passport, you will not be allowed to take the exam. I guess can send all the documents at the same time (form 182,183 and photocopy of your passport), so that everything is processed at the same time and a scheduling permit with the revised name is issued or just send form 183 and once the permit is available send form 182 and passport copy to change the name. The first option is obviously more time and money saving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ahmad alkhshen (04-11-2016)
  #42  
Old 04-11-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Thank you ... I'll consider the first option,,and hope for the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43  
Old 04-11-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 300
Threads: 5
Thanked 245 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad alkhshen View Post
Thank you ... I'll consider the first option,,and hope for the best
Yea. Or just call up ecfmg and find out which would be better. I'm pretty sure the first option is the reasonable one but ecfmg will give u a concrete response and u would be relieved as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44  
Old 09-08-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default difference in my name

hello,
Actually in my passport
Surname : Shah
Given names : Kruti Dineshkumar
To obtain ECFMG identification number in wrote
Shah in last name field and kruti Dineshkumar in rest of name field.
My all documents and my degree certificate also have name : Shah Kruti Dineshkumar.
problem is that i got my Id number and when i logged in it is showing my name as Shah, Kruti Dineshkumar
This comma after Shah is not correct. Please help me out. what should i do ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45  
Old 09-08-2016
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 257
Threads: 94
Thanked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default Last name is written first followed by a comma

They usually write last name first followed by a comma then the first name or the first and middle names "rest of name".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kruti Shah (09-08-2016)



  #46  
Old 09-09-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

hello
but it is sooo complicated
as i said earlier in my passport and in my all doctuments my name is
Shah Kruti Dineshkumar
But in ecfmg certification my last name is Shah and rest on name is Kruti dineshkumar
so its showing me Kruti Dineshkumar Shah

now what should i do?
please help me out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #47  
Old 09-12-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 684
Threads: 12
Thanked 335 Times in 271 Posts
Reputation: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruti Shah View Post
hello
but it is sooo complicated
as i said earlier in my passport and in my all doctuments my name is
Shah Kruti Dineshkumar
But in ecfmg certification my last name is Shah and rest on name is Kruti dineshkumar
so its showing me Kruti Dineshkumar Shah

now what should i do?
please help me out
Weird that it happened. Anyways, you just have a take a letter from your Dean saying that the names Kruti Dineshkumar Shah and Shah Kruti Dineshkumar belong to one and the same individual. You can find the exact format of the letter on the ECFMG website. You need to submit the letter when you send your degree to ECFMG.
__________________
241/238/passed(1)/2016/need visa/3 months USCE/ 4 US lors/ 1 abstract/matched
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #48  
Old 09-12-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

okay thanks saxo!! anything else have to do for it ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #49  
Old 09-12-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 684
Threads: 12
Thanked 335 Times in 271 Posts
Reputation: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruti Shah View Post
okay thanks saxo!! anything else have to do for it ??
That's it. When you send the degree to ECFMG for credentials verification, you have to send the letter verifying the name as well. Take a couple of copies of the letter as you may need it while uploading your MSPE in the future.
__________________
241/238/passed(1)/2016/need visa/3 months USCE/ 4 US lors/ 1 abstract/matched
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Kruti Shah (09-15-2016)
  #50  
Old 09-14-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 15
Threads: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

hi ..i am an img from india currently doing my internship..i was applying for step 1 as student and had a doubt about the name rules
my name on my passport is
surname-syed
given name-faisal hussain

on all my transcripts/memos and all other my name is syed faisal hussain

i haven't yet received my diploma(as i am still a student) but i will get it next year and my name on my diploma will be SYED FAISAL HUSSAIN

now ecfmg has first name....middle name....last name(surname)

how do i enter my name so that it finally comes as syed faisal hussain on my ecfmg record and on my scheduling permit?

american way of writting the name is they write the surname in the end but in india its mostly written in the front
now ecfmg states in its rules to enter the family name/surname as last name

if i go by this and enter my last name(surname) as syed according to my passport..my ecfmg name will come as FAISAL HUSSAIN SYED which is different from the name on my diploma/transcripts and all

how do i write the sequence of my name??..plzz help cause if this goes wrong i will again have to go through the verification process which will take more time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #51  
Old 09-14-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 684
Threads: 12
Thanked 335 Times in 271 Posts
Reputation: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal2636 View Post
hi ..i am an img from india currently doing my internship..i was applying for step 1 as student and had a doubt about the name rules
my name on my passport is
surname-syed
given name-faisal hussain

on all my transcripts/memos and all other my name is syed faisal hussain

i haven't yet received my diploma(as i am still a student) but i will get it next year and my name on my diploma will be SYED FAISAL HUSSAIN

now ecfmg has first name....middle name....last name(surname)

how do i enter my name so that it finally comes as syed faisal hussain on my ecfmg record and on my scheduling permit?

american way of writting the name is they write the surname in the end but in india its mostly written in the front
now ecfmg states in its rules to enter the family name/surname as last name

if i go by this and enter my last name(surname) as syed according to my passport..my ecfmg name will come as FAISAL HUSSAIN SYED which is different from the name on my diploma/transcripts and all

how do i write the sequence of my name??..plzz help cause if this goes wrong i will again have to go through the verification process which will take more time
Well, if you were to do it you would put in Syed as your first name and Faisal Hussain as last name in the ECFMG record. But I would not advise you to do that. The name in the ECFMG record and passport has to match exactly and if there is any difference you will not be allowed to sit for the exams. Just put in the way it is in the passport, take the letter verifying the name and submit it alobg with the degree. There should not be any problem with the verification process if you get the letter in the way ECFMG wants you to. I know lot of people who had to verify their name and none of them had any issues with credentials verification.
__________________
241/238/passed(1)/2016/need visa/3 months USCE/ 4 US lors/ 1 abstract/matched
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
faisal2636 (09-14-2016)
  #52  
Old 09-14-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 15
Threads: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Thank you so much.Just one more thing,I will have to get this done after i get my diploma right? This won't be an issue for my step 1 exam which i am giving as a student?.This will only be required for my credentials verification when i send my diploma after i graduate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #53  
Old 09-14-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 684
Threads: 12
Thanked 335 Times in 271 Posts
Reputation: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal2636 View Post
Thank you so much.Just one more thing,I will have to get this done after i get my diploma right? This won't be an issue for my step 1 exam which i am giving as a student?.This will only be required for my credentials verification when i send my diploma after i graduate?
If you are applying as a student for step 1, then you have to send the letter verifying the name along with step 1 application form. You will have to send the same letter again with your degree (or every time you apply as a student). So take a few original copies of it.
__________________
241/238/passed(1)/2016/need visa/3 months USCE/ 4 US lors/ 1 abstract/matched
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
faisal2636 (09-14-2016)
  #54  
Old 09-14-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 15
Threads: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

ohh..thank you so much once again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #55  
Old 10-01-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 15
Threads: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Hi once again
Regarding this,I just read on the ecfmg 2017 booklet that to verify the name we can send a copy of our passport ,birth certificate etc and they said that the letter from the college is an alternative to this. That means if i send a copy of my passport it will be enough to verify my name on ecfmg and diploma right? i won't have to submit the letter from my college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #56  
Old 10-08-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

guys i need help plz asap
we only use full name here (4 names) for example if my name is 1 2 3 4 and in my passport my name is first name: 1 and last name: 2 3 4 does the last name in my ecfmg have to be the 4th name? because i prefer to use the 3rd name as my last name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #57  
Old 12-07-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

hi.the name on my passport is Waqar Arif Rasool Chaudhry and the name on my degree is Waqar Arif Rasool Ch. what should i do. bcz ch.is an abbreviated form of chaudhry.kindly guide me as im stuck on this point for my iwa application
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #58  
Old 12-10-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 684
Threads: 12
Thanked 335 Times in 271 Posts
Reputation: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqar16 View Post
hi.the name on my passport is Waqar Arif Rasool Chaudhry and the name on my degree is Waqar Arif Rasool Ch. what should i do. bcz ch.is an abbreviated form of chaudhry.kindly guide me as im stuck on this point for my iwa application
Get a letter from your medical school saying both the names belong to the same person (you can find the exact wording of the letter on the ECFMG website or booklet under "Verifying your name"). Once you get the letter, send it to ECFMG along with the exam application.
__________________
241/238/passed(1)/2016/need visa/3 months USCE/ 4 US lors/ 1 abstract/matched
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #59  
Old 12-14-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo View Post
Get a letter from your medical school saying both the names belong to the same person (you can find the exact wording of the letter on the ECFMG website or booklet under "Verifying your name"). Once you get the letter, send it to ECFMG along with the exam application.
thank u very much saxo for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #60  
Old 06-23-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Star In Reply to confusions

All questions asked are mixed and is cases by case and confusing.

1) Name on your diploma need not match your name on ecfmg. (For name change/Name change due to marriage) But for verifying credentials you need the name same as in diploma. Doing so will still keep the current name and still will verify based on previous/diploma name.

Example name change due to marriage- you can have it as current name as long as you have a marriage certificate or new passport with changed name. This document is required when used for entering examination hall to verify identity.

Now same person has maiden name in diploma . They need to send the copy of proof of maiden name to verify credentials to ecfmg. This can be birth certificate/marriage certifcate. If you dont have so alternatively you can send letter on med school letter head stating both are names of same person.

Hence if you never had any name change it should match your diploma and it will anyway match your ecfmg name.

The bottom line is proof of name change if you want to use current name in ecfmg. Other proof on old name if med school name is old name.


Changing or Verifying Your Name

Changing Your Name
If you have legally changed your name and want to request a change of name in your ECFMG record, send a completed Request to Change Applicant Biographic Information (Form 182) to ECFMG. Form 182 is available in the Resources section of the ECFMG website and from ECFMG, upon request. Form 182 requires you to provide a reason for the name change and must be accompanied by a photocopy of the appropriate document(s), as defined on Form 182. ECFMG must be able to determine from the document(s) you submit that your name has legally changed from the name currently in your ECFMG record to the name you are requesting to appear in your record and that you are using this new name consistently. This means that it may be necessary for you to submit more than one document to support your name change request. For the purpose of changing your name, the document(s) you provide must be unexpired (if applicable). These documents may include:

Passport (including the pages with your photograph and the expiration date)
Birth certificate
Marriage certificate
Official court order
U.S. Resident Alien Card
U.S. Naturalization Certificate
U.S. Passport Card (a one-page document that includes your photograph and the expiration date)
See additional important information on documents below.

Important Notes: If you change the name in your ECFMG record while you are registered for an exam, a revised scheduling permit reflecting this change will be issued; you can access the revised scheduling permit by accessing IWA. You must present the revised scheduling permit at the test center on your exam date. Name changes must be received and processed by ECFMG no later than seven business days before your testing appointment, or you will not be able to test.
If you have a valid Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) on file with ECFMG, it will be invalidated when the name in your ECFMG record is changed, and you will be required to complete a new Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) the next time you apply for examination.
Verifying Your Name
If the name in your ECFMG record is correct but this name does not match exactly your name as listed on your medical diploma, transcript, or other credential, you must verify that the name on these documents is (or was) your name. To verify your name, send to ECFMG a photocopy of one of the documents listed above that verifies the name on your medical diploma, transcript, or other credential. The name in your ECFMG record will not be changed if you are verifying your name.

As an alternative to one of the documents listed above, ECFMG will accept for purposes of verifying your name a letter from an authorized official of your medical school that verifies that the name on your medical diploma, transcript, or other credential is (or was) your name. If you choose to submit a letter from your medical school to verify the name on your medical diploma, transcript, or other credential, the letter must be signed by an authorized official of your medical school. The letter you submit must be written on your medical school’s letterhead. The letter must include the following statement:

This certifies that the names [name on document] and [name in ECFMG record] belong to one and the same person.
The document(s) you send must show your name exactly as it appears on your medical diploma/transcript.

See additional important information on documents below.

Important Information on Documents for Changing or Verifying Your Name
Attestations and affidavits are not acceptable as documentation to change or verify your name.
Please do not submit an original document; a photocopy of the document is sufficient.
All documents submitted to change or verify your name that are not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation that meets ECFMG's translation requirements. See English Translations in Medical Education Credentials.
All documents submitted to change or verify your name, including translations, will become a part of your permanent ECFMG record and will not be returned to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #61  
Old 06-28-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
If there's a difference between your med school papers and your other legal documents (passport) then your dean can write a letter.

But this is not the case with you. Your case is that your passport and med school papers have the same name, your dean has nothing to do for you.

You should contact the ECFMG and tell them that you have been (WRONG) when you registered and you want to change your name in their records. The way to do that is by Form 182.
Hi StepTaker, for me my name on the passport and my diploma differ. My legal name on the passport is Sara Javed Ahsan and on my diploma it's Sara Javed. What should I do? Can a letter from the dean clarify this? Even my ECFMG name is Sara Javed Ahsan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #62  
Old 06-28-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohra View Post
hi..
my passport name and da name i put on da ecfmg certification are also different.I hav 2 citizenships so 2 passports.On both the passports my name is Zohra Sarfraz Chaudhry.this is my legal name my birth certificate and almost every legal document have this name so i put this name on the ecfmg site.
But da name on my medical diploma is just Zohra Sarfraz and i stil have to send my application form for step1. So what shud i do?? do i need a verification letter from my dean??
would really appreciate some help..thanx
Hi I have a similar problem, first middle and last name on passport & the ECFMG account, but on the diploma first and middle name only, (middle name being used as the last). Would a dean's letter suffice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #63  
Old 06-28-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Name on passport match with ecfmg name works good at the time of exam test ID verfification.

However the you have to verify certificates with ECFMG thats when this comes into picture. From what i have read a Deans letter will work too.

For more clear understanding i would call 215 386 5900 to be precise


Quote:
Originally Posted by saraahsan92 View Post
Hi StepTaker, for me my name on the passport and my diploma differ. My legal name on the passport is Sara Javed Ahsan and on my diploma it's Sara Javed. What should I do? Can a letter from the dean clarify this? Even my ECFMG name is Sara Javed Ahsan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
saraahsan92 (06-28-2017)
  #64  
Old 08-02-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Smile

Hie all!i am a graduate. My name on my passport is jain shubhi pradipkumar and the name on my medical school marksheet is jain shubhi pradip. pradip is my dad's name and jain my surname.. my medical diploma is yet to come after 3 months and i havent registered in ecfmg yet..but when i read the booklet as i sat for registration..it said that your name on medical school diploma and the name on your passport should be exactly the same. it is not exactly the same so what should i do? try to change my name in my medical school diploma/passport? or should my diploma come and i take a letter from dean that both the person are same and send it to ecfmg. also my name shubhi is in middle so do i need to change the sequence also? please help! i feel panicked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #65  
Old 08-02-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Firstly You Need to refer your name like First Name, Surname/lastname and middle name.

From my understanding Your FN: Shubi, LN: Jain , Middle: Pradip/Pradipkumar.

Since Passport dont show middle name i think you may have it added in your FN : Shubi Pradip.

I am not sure which document came first/with a mistake. I believe firstly in your passport when you apply one, is your name not as per your 10th ?

Secondly is your name on diploma not as per 10th again ?

If the Answer to above is yes, i would infact correct my passport with FN: Shubi Pradip. to make it consistent.

If name on your diploma is not consistent from your 10th /10+2 then its better to correct Diploma.

However the above being the ideal way, You can create Ecfmg account as per your name on passport exactly and verify your med credentials as per degree name with a supporting Deans letter being must.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhi View Post
Hie all!i am a graduate. My name on my passport is jain shubhi pradipkumar and the name on my medical school marksheet is jain shubhi pradip. pradip is my dad's name and jain my surname.. my medical diploma is yet to come after 3 months and i havent registered in ecfmg yet..but when i read the booklet as i sat for registration..it said that your name on medical school diploma and the name on your passport should be exactly the same. it is not exactly the same so what should i do? try to change my name in my medical school diploma/passport? or should my diploma come and i take a letter from dean that both the person are same and send it to ecfmg. also my name shubhi is in middle so do i need to change the sequence also? please help! i feel panicked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shubhi (08-11-2017)



Reply

Tags
Name-Problem

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Find Us on Facebook
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)