Just got my score, dropped in percentile from Step 1 :( - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-21-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 158
Threads: 32
Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default Just got my score, dropped in percentile from Step 1 :(

Step 2 CK score today: 242
Step 1 score in May 2016: 243
**both first attempt** also passed CS first attempt

This score is just average so at exactly the 50th percentile. I got a 243 on my Step 1 which put me at about the 75th percentile, so I dropped 25 percentiles from Step 1 to 2 CK, which is not common as most people tend to score higher on CK than on Step 1. I have no idea what went wrong. I studied for CK for 6 months, did all the classic review sources and even scored well on my practice exams, but the exam day was totally different. It didn't feel much different on exam day from Step 1. I was fatigued by block 5 on both exams.

I have one question. Do program directors look at percentiles on the Steps or do they just care about the overall score? I'm a US Citizen IMG looking to match into IM, and I saw in Dr. Desai's, The Successful Match book that the average USMLE scores that US IMGs matched in IM in 2014 were: Step 1 221, Step 2 CK 228. Of course this is just the average and doesn't take into account anything else in the application, but according to that I should be fine. But there's a clear drop from Step 1, how bad does that look?

Thanks, just needed some support and advice that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 12-21-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 38
Threads: 1
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagisafurukawa View Post
Step 2 CK score today: 242
Step 1 score in May 2016: 243
**both first attempt** also passed CS first attempt

This score is just average so at exactly the 50th percentile. I got a 243 on my Step 1 which put me at about the 75th percentile, so I dropped 25 percentiles from Step 1 to 2 CK, which is not common as most people tend to score higher on CK than on Step 1. I have no idea what went wrong. I studied for CK for 6 months, did all the classic review sources and even scored well on my practice exams, but the exam day was totally different. It didn't feel much different on exam day from Step 1. I was fatigued by block 5 on both exams.

I have one question. Do program directors look at percentiles on the Steps or do they just care about the overall score? I'm a US Citizen IMG looking to match into IM, and I saw in Dr. Desai's, The Successful Match book that the average USMLE scores that US IMGs matched in IM in 2014 were: Step 1 221, Step 2 CK 228. Of course this is just the average and doesn't take into account anything else in the application, but according to that I should be fine. But there's a clear drop from Step 1, how bad does that look?

Thanks, just needed some support and advice that's all.
First, congrats. Both of your scores are at least average for both steps and I'm pretty confident that they'll beat a lot of filters. I don't foresee it being a massive limitation in terms of the invites that you will get, especially being a US IMG. However, there is more to your application than USMLE scores that are taken into consideration.

EDIT:
also, don't just go by "average" scores that are posted

There are a lot of low tier community IM programmes out there that have much lower standards than academic/university IM programmes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-21-2016
Banned
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 120
Threads: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Great scores your poised to be a decent candidate for the match congrats !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 12-21-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 158
Threads: 32
Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mebackkid View Post
First, congrats. Both of your scores are at least average for both steps and I'm pretty confident that they'll beat a lot of filters. I don't foresee it being a massive limitation in terms of the invites that you will get, especially being a US IMG. However, there is more to your application than USMLE scores that are taken into consideration.

EDIT:
also, don't just go by "average" scores that are posted

There are a lot of low tier community IM programmes out there that have much lower standards than academic/university IM programmes.
True. Although I do prefer going to a academic/university IM program as I'm interested in doing a fellowship in cardiology, doing a residency in a lower-tier community IM program is far better than not matching at all.

I'll just have to focus on strengthening the other aspects of my application instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-21-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 158
Threads: 32
Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosSantos View Post
Great scores your poised to be a decent candidate for the match congrats !
Thank you. I was so hoping for that 250 and just ram right into Step 3 prep and other things. Now I don't feel like doing anything the whole day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-21-2016
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 219
Threads: 12
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagisafurukawa View Post
Thank you. I was so hoping for that 250 and just ram right into Step 3 prep and other things. Now I don't feel like doing anything the whole day.
Can you share your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-21-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 158
Threads: 32
Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azetronam View Post
Can you share your experience?
You mean my whole Step 2 CK prep? I just did the usual MTB and Kaplan LN, Uworld, Kaplan, and Rx Qbanks. nothing too special or out of the ordinary. Averaging 77% on UW first pass, and my NBMEs were 244, 260, and 254 on 4, 6, and 7 respectively. The 7 was 2 weeks out, and UWSA was 254 1 week out.

So it seems the real culprit was exam day itself. It felt just like Step 1 to be honest. 9 hours over there certainly wasn't easy, and I was reading questions slower and slower as the day went on, but nothing different from Step 1. So I really have no clue what went wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-21-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 684
Threads: 12
Thanked 336 Times in 272 Posts
Reputation: 346
Default

I had the same reaction when I got my score and was disappointed that it wasn't in 250s (like my nbmes).
You need to relax. 242 is a damn good score and you'll get through filters at most places. Focus on building other aspects of your application. Good luck
__________________
241/238/passed(1)/2016/need visa/3 months USCE/ 4 US lors/ 1 abstract/matched
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-21-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 158
Threads: 32
Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo View Post
I had the same reaction when I got my score and was disappointed that it wasn't in 250s (like my nbmes).
You need to relax. 242 is a damn good score and you'll get through filters at most places. Focus on building other aspects of your application. Good luck
Thank you. I will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-22-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 68
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

These scores are very good. What you must do now is improve your CV with hands on experience. Although you may have high scores, Residency program Directors want to see actual usce and at least 3 LoRs. IM has great competition. The scores will only open the door my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 12-23-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 107
Threads: 2
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 29
Star Whole Applications -

Congrats on the scores! However, keep pushing! You want to have a well rounded application - ex. great scores/great LoR/research/volunteer experience/experience in your chosen specialty. Keep up the great work! I'm sure you will be just fine in the upcoming match.

How many programs did you apply to this year?

Good luck!
medmatchplus+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 01-04-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 47
Threads: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

You have a decent score.
No need to be reactive about it.
Just try to build a good profile from here.

As it gets very competitive every year, you need to get good LORs, deep connections and so on.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got my score, dropped in percentile from Step 1 :( nagisafurukawa USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 0 12-21-2016 07:32 AM
Score dropped from NBME to UWSA jawbreaker13o USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 09-06-2015 05:05 PM
nbme score dropped coolguy2 USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 09-14-2014 07:13 AM
Dropped my score when switched to Timed mode! MIZO105 USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 01-17-2012 03:40 AM
What's the three digit score to get 90 percentile? varunshetty00 USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 05-14-2011 02:25 AM

Find Us on Facebook
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)