USMLE Forums

USMLE Forums (
-   IMG Visa Issues (
-   -   H4 to H1 (

krupakarnik 07-06-2012 01:44 PM

H4 to H1

I am preparing for the steps and currently have a valid B1/B2 visa. I will be getting married to a person who holds H1 visa in the US. I plan to go to US as a dependent on him with H4 visa and give up my B1/B2 status.

Will I be able to apply for residency while on H4?

If not, what are my options?

Please help me


Sabio 07-07-2012 01:07 PM

Yes. Most residency programs that accept H1 or J1 would accept your on H4.


krupakarnik 07-09-2012 01:14 AM

Is it possible to convert H4 to H1 before applying for residency?
In other words, is application for H1 done by oneself (after passing step 3) or only by the hospital that appoints you?

usmlemydream 12-17-2012 08:58 AM

you can not change from H4 to H1 unless some program sponsers your H1
some programs sponsor J1 too but you need to go to your home country for 2 yrs after residency
path is long and difficult but not impossible

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)