Visa assistance from ECFMG - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum > IMG Visa Issues

IMG Visa Issues International Medical Graduates and Students discussion US Visa issues.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 31
Threads: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default Visa assistance from ECFMG

Hello,
My visa has been rejected thrice now under 214b section. I have already cleared step 1 and 2 ck.
I mailed ecfmg about the same and their response was
"Please be advised that if you would like ECFMG to contact the United States Embassy/Consulate in your country to assist with your visa application process, you may submit a request to the attention of Roman Mizak at the fax number*215.386.9196.* In your request, please include the mailing address, telephone number, fax number and the name of the official you would like us to contact.* The name of the official is mandatory information in order for you to receive our assistance."

Can anyone tell me what should i write in name of offcials?? Is it the place name where I will be applying for visa or the name of the officer who is going to interview me there?

Has anyone done this before. How was it?
My visa was rejected few days back. My cs is on feb 10th. Should i wait for few months to apply again or apply now?? I am currently unemployed. What to do to maximise my chances. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 01-12-2017
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 219
Threads: 12
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newzonecanada View Post
Hello,
My visa has been rejected thrice now under 214b section. I have already cleared step 1 and 2 ck.
I mailed ecfmg about the same and their response was
"Please be advised that if you would like ECFMG to contact the United States Embassy/Consulate in your country to assist with your visa application process, you may submit a request to the attention of Roman Mizak at the fax number*215.386.9196.* In your request, please include the mailing address, telephone number, fax number and the name of the official you would like us to contact.* The name of the official is mandatory information in order for you to receive our assistance."

Can anyone tell me what should i write in name of offcials?? Is it the place name where I will be applying for visa or the name of the officer who is going to interview me there?

Has anyone done this before. How was it?
My visa was rejected few days back. My cs is on feb 10th. Should i wait for few months to apply again or apply now?? I am currently unemployed. What to do to maximise my chances. Please help!
While Im not sure about the mailing process. The reason why your visa has been rejected is because you are unemployed..Remember you should be able to prove to the Visa Officer, that you have a strong reason to come back to your home country. So my humble advice would be to work somewhere for 1 or 2 months and then apply for visa. Next time when ur applying for visa, be sure to mention to thtm that your employed and take employment proof while going for IV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-28-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 12
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Hey did you get your visa? I am in a similar situation. My CS exam is on 10th May. Today I was rejected for the second time. I have emailed the American Embassy and explained my situation. Did you get any reply from the embassy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-30-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Hey there, I am Harshvardhan Zala, from India. My current situation is the same as some of you guys. I gave my step 1 in Jan, but haven't given any other steps. I am almost done filling up my ds 160 form, but haven't submitted it yet. I am also unemployed, so what should I write in the current duties column? My CS exam is on 12th June. I have a visa letter, exam permit and date confirmation. Another question is, what reason should be given in order to convince the visa officer that I will come back to my country for sure?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Harshvardhan Zala
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-30-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azetronam View Post
While Im not sure about the mailing process. The reason why your visa has been rejected is because you are unemployed..Remember you should be able to prove to the Visa Officer, that you have a strong reason to come back to your home country. So my humble advice would be to work somewhere for 1 or 2 months and then apply for visa. Next time when ur applying for visa, be sure to mention to thtm that your employed and take employment proof while going for IV.
Isn't there any strong reason other than employment, like family or social issues that I can address to prove that I will come back to my country? I'm confused here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-03-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 12
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshvardhan View Post
Isn't there any strong reason other than employment, like family or social issues that I can address to prove that I will come back to my country? I'm confused here
Hey Harshvardhan,
I am from Nepal and my visa was rejected for the second time last week. I would advice you to take a current employement letter if this is your first application. If you have been rejected recently, it will be better to wait for 2-3 months and reapply with an employment letter (either get a letter from a registered hospital that donot look fake or get a job). They might also ask for payment slips for recent 3 months.
To be honest, getting visa is how nicely you convince the visa officer during your interview about your intent to visit and that you will return back on time. I screwed up my first interview as I didnt prepare well for the interview. And second interview was a direct rejection On second attempt, they ask "what have changed between then and now" and you have to tell them a strong change or they will reject you again.
To make it mor eclear, few of my friends applied without any job and kept the trip duration for 3 months and they got their visa approved while others showed an employment letter.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-03-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skr82 View Post
Hey Harshvardhan,
I am from Nepal and my visa was rejected for the second time last week. I would advice you to take a current employement letter if this is your first application. If you have been rejected recently, it will be better to wait for 2-3 months and reapply with an employment letter (either get a letter from a registered hospital that donot look fake or get a job). They might also ask for payment slips for recent 3 months.
To be honest, getting visa is how nicely you convince the visa officer during your interview about your intent to visit and that you will return back on time. I screwed up my first interview as I didnt prepare well for the interview. And second interview was a direct rejection On second attempt, they ask "what have changed between then and now" and you have to tell them a strong change or they will reject you again.
To make it mor eclear, few of my friends applied without any job and kept the trip duration for 3 months and they got their visa approved while others showed an employment letter.
Good luck!
Thanks for the reply skr82. Sorry to hear that. They strongly advise not to reapply unless and until your circumstances are grossly changed. My advice would be, get a job and give ck if possible, before you apply again. And now I'm more confused about my condition If the VO asks about payslips then its over. But how likely it is for the VO to ask about bank statements or payslips? One of my friends told me that VOs mostly ask only about employment letter and if you are dependent, then they'll most likely ask for more of these details about your sponsor and not yourself. What should I do? Should I show an employment letter or my family and social reasons will be enough? And since I haven't submitted the ds form yet, I'm concerned about what to write in the current duties column, employment or some kind of externship, coz the latter won't strengthen my reason to come back to India. I'll truly appreciate any suggestion. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Harshvardhan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-04-2017
shaarang_93's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 69
Threads: 2
Thanked 58 Times in 26 Posts
Reputation: 68
Default

Guys I recently got a visa and I am unemployed too. I think it's got to do with the fact that many IMGs are not currently employed but on the work and employment section of their DS 160, instead of selecting unemployed, they select medical professional, sometimes maybe unintentionally, just as a reflex. Because yes if we have a primary medical degree like MBBS we are doctors and registered practitioners. But being qualified to work is not the question. They are asking whether you are currently working or not. I had this realization when I was filling my DS 160. I almost selected medical professional, but when I saw the "current duties" section I realized I need to be employed to fill this.
Then I selected unemployed and the only thing you have to fill then is the "explain" column. So just be clear and to the point in that explanation. Just explain that you are pursuing specialty courses and for that you need to take exams and are studying and therefore you are not employed. Then, no one will ask you for pay slips or anything.
They'll ask how the trip will be sponsored and you can say my parents or whoever is going to pay for it. And just take your sponsors financial records and property valuation as proof.
Long story short -- If employed, prove it and prove it's enough for the trip.
If not employed don't lie and tell them who's sponsoring you and show that person's finances if asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Harshvardhan (04-06-2017)
  #9  
Old 04-06-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaarang_93 View Post
Guys I recently got a visa and I am unemployed too. I think it's got to do with the fact that many IMGs are not currently employed but on the work and employment section of their DS 160, instead of selecting unemployed, they select medical professional, sometimes maybe unintentionally, just as a reflex. Because yes if we have a primary medical degree like MBBS we are doctors and registered practitioners. But being qualified to work is not the question. They are asking whether you are currently working or not. I had this realization when I was filling my DS 160. I almost selected medical professional, but when I saw the "current duties" section I realized I need to be employed to fill this.
Then I selected unemployed and the only thing you have to fill then is the "explain" column. So just be clear and to the point in that explanation. Just explain that you are pursuing specialty courses and for that you need to take exams and are studying and therefore you are not employed. Then, no one will ask you for pay slips or anything.
They'll ask how the trip will be sponsored and you can say my parents or whoever is going to pay for it. And just take your sponsors financial records and property valuation as proof.
Long story short -- If employed, prove it and prove it's enough for the trip.
If not employed don't lie and tell them who's sponsoring you and show that person's finances if asked.
Thanx man..I wrote the same, unemployed.d But then what reason should I give to convince him that I will surely come back to India? What did you write in current duties column?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-06-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 16
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshvardhan View Post
Hey there, I am Harshvardhan Zala, from India. My current situation is the same as some of you guys. I gave my step 1 in Jan, but haven't given any other steps. I am almost done filling up my ds 160 form, but haven't submitted it yet. I am also unemployed, so what should I write in the current duties column? My CS exam is on 12th June. I have a visa letter, exam permit and date confirmation. Another question is, what reason should be given in order to convince the visa officer that I will come back to my country for sure?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Harshvardhan Zala
Hey,
Did you get your visa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post-Match Assistance Residents Medical IMG Residency Match Forum 0 03-23-2015 09:56 AM
Programs that dont sponsor visa, can accept visa sponsored by ecfmg??? Paolo2011 IMG Residency Match Forum 4 09-06-2014 06:26 AM
Programs that don't sponsor visa, can accept visa sponsored by ecfmg? Paolo2011 IMG Visa Issues 0 09-05-2014 05:47 PM
J1 visa and ECFMG Certification RR00 IMG Residency Match Forum 2 04-28-2014 09:05 AM
ECFMG sponsored J-1 Visa aknz IMG Visa Issues 2 08-21-2013 08:25 AM

Find Us on Facebook
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)