USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Probably the correct answer is A; the onset of developmental disruption correlates more or less with the transferring of child care from mother to grandmother. Asking the grandmother how she prepares the formula would be the ideal step to start with, before applying any intervention (choices C & D). A child that is active and not in distress can safely rule out cystic fibrosis (choice E), as well as child abuse (choice B). Furthermore, occipital hair loss and the diaper rash should be attributed to iron, zinc and vitamin deficiency due to poor feeding, not some kind of abuse.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thank you, Dr. Mary, you 've got a very important point here. I just pushed myself not to blindly chose child abuse!!!:p I absolutely agree that neglect is a kind of abuse (along with physical, sexual and emotional ones) and the threshold of suspicion for such a condition should be very low... But would it be moral to admit the child without even asking the carers first? Should we seek for social service intervention right away? Shouldn't we make some preliminary investigations of our own as physicians? Apart from that, I think that a series of labs must be performed before admission for abuse takes place.

After all these rhetorical questions, I have to admit that I totally agree with you, the child should be treated as a case of neglect. I tried to cheat myself on this but it was futile!!!:eek:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.