USMLE Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will graduate from top 3 Carib school in 2016
Step 1: 223

Red flags: Failed Biochem first term and got A the following term, medical LOA after 5th term, and need visa (I'm Canadian)
...will be applying for 2016 match

I am starting clinicals Jan. I know that is a LOT of red flags..but I'm hoping the medical won't count too much against me.

I will DEFINITELY be applying to less competitive specialities, but trying to foresee what the 2016 match will be like for IMGs needing a visa is really a shot in the dark. I did psych in undergrad and right now I am very interested in psychiatry but I can't say for certain until I do my rotation. Getting volunteer experience in mental health is VERY difficult in Canada.

And as it stands right now, I really have no research experience except some data collection in undergrad.

Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Will graduate from top 3 Carib school in 2016
Step 1: 223

Red flags: Failed Biochem first term and got A the following term, medical LOA after 5th term, and need visa (I'm Canadian)
...will be applying for 2016 match

I am starting clinicals Jan. I know that is a LOT of red flags..but I'm hoping the medical won't count too much against me.

I will DEFINITELY be applying to less competitive specialities, but trying to foresee what the 2016 match will be like for IMGs needing a visa is really a shot in the dark. I did psych in undergrad and right now I am very interested in psychiatry but I can't say for certain until I do my rotation. Getting volunteer experience in mental health is VERY difficult in Canada.

And as it stands right now, I really have no research experience except some data collection in undergrad.

Thanks!
Tough to say... every year its more and more difficult... i am a canadian and having difficulty this year in FM... scores similar to yours.. Have research and excellent LORs...

Canadians should be very cautious before spending so much money!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
What does draw you back from practicing medicine in Canada, I've been thinking applying to Canada if I don't get matched. Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Canadian match happens a month before the USA.... the number of available seats is very few..... Canadian grads and IMGs dont compete in the same stream till second iteration (like us soap)... Starting next yr IMGs have to take more exams (i think its called NAC)... not worth the time or money...

IMGs are treated like a second class citizen, after you finish ur residency... they slap you with a Return of service clause (5yrs).... even though your training is equivalent to a canadian grad... IF YOU were in states instead... you can license in both places.. US and Canada... return of service clause doesnt apply to you in canada...

Canada forgets that there is a shortage of doctors in canada and usa.. if they keep doing that they will loose doctors to USA... Canada is not doing any favours to us by giving us residency.. we are medical doctors and have work hard for it...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
failed biochem first year hahahahahaha
relax buddy, noone cares about med school score haha

you should be scared because your applying to 2016 (2015 onwards is death for visa needers) and youre canadian. but nothing you can do about that now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

you should be scared because your applying to 2016 (2015 onwards is death for visa needers) and youre canadian. but nothing you can do about that now.
They don't care about basic science grades.. Unless you fail! Then they always bring it up and regardless of the fact that it was my first term, it's a red flag.

I am scared about 2016..hence my post! Amy advice?

I saw last time you posted you had 6 IVs, anymore since?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Why are programs turning down Canadian applicants so much this year? Is sponsoring a visa that big an issue or is it something else?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Why are programs turning down Canadian applicants so much this year? Is sponsoring a visa that big an issue or is it something else?
yea programs just arent bothering any more
so many good applicants to choose from why would they waste their time and money for someone who can easily be replaced by an equal candidate who is a citizen or green card holder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts