USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! So im an IMG who gave the step 2 ck exam on the 25th of last month and just got my result a couple of days ago.
I started my prep for CK a month after i gave my step 1 exam. From the start my goal was 255+. My total prep time was around 3 months. I started off with kaplan books and gave them a quick read, finishing them in one month. After that i did MTB 3 for all subjects except medicine. I studied kaplan medicine last and felt confident enough to start Uworld without doing MTB 2 for medicine. The first random, timed block i did i got 89%. That gave me a confidence boost. I did get a couple of 60's but ended up with a first pass of 80%. I annotated all the imp details of uworld on MTB2 for medicine and MTB3 for the rest. In the process i also read up MTB2 while annotating.

After finishing uworld i did MTB2 and 3 with the annotations and then did nbme 4 in which i got around 250. I did tikki tika notes for the subjects i felt weak in like peds, cardio and pulmonology. I liked the notes but didnt have time to do all the notes.

Then i did the clinical mastery series for gyne, peds, medicine and psych. I found these questions hard but very useful so i would definitely recommend them.
As i did in step 1 i did ALL the NBME's from 1 to 7. They were very helpful to get the hang of the type of questions that come in the exam.

2 weeks before the exam i did UWSA and got 260.
3 days before i did FRED and got 91%

The day of the exam i felt more at ease than step 1 simply because i had gone through the process before and it was familiar. The test itself was long and confusing but definitely doable. Lots of weird questions but extremely easy ones too. I finished almost each block with 10 mins to spare and used that time to review the questions i had flagged. Coming out of the exam i felt horrible as i felt i had messed up on too many of the easy questions.

Anyway 3 anxiety filled weeks later i got my result and i can say this was one of my greatest achievements. I wanted a score 255+ and i achieved it! I managed to improve from my step 1 score by 14 points!
The key to step 2 success in my opinion is to study really hard for step1 because if you have a good step 1 base you basically can breeze through many of the topics of CK.

Wish everyone who's studying for this exam GOOD LUCK! Just believe in yourself and your dreams

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow nice experience brain15! It looks like all the hard work paid off! I hope you will get what you want with that score! Happy-2

Do you think this plan will work if you didn't take step 1 yet? You said Step 1 will make you breeze CK and that makes me a bit scared.

I made a separate topic on that today about that situation. I am faced with taking ck first because of scheduling and trying to figure out what to best do. Before people were able to do this but I hear it's not like years ago.

I was going to do all the lecture notes from kaplan and maybe the mtb 3 unless the lecture notes have all the information that mtb 2 + 3 have from your experience. Will rapid review or first aid step 1 or studying side by side usmleworld step 1 + step 2 in subject and organ system help? I can try and read only the explanations for usmleworld step 1 and try to find the clinical things?

With the clinical series and nbmes, was there a good resource that helped in doing those questions? I hear UW is much different from the other official practice exams.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the thing is step 1 helped make the foundation. Like the only new part in CK would be some of the management. The diagnosis u would be able to reach with your step 1 knowledge. I dont know if the same strategy would apply but i would say do as many questions as you can. Uworld is the best resource. Do that thoroughly. For clinical mastery series i searched the answers on the forums especially the SDN forum. And lastly for me UWSA is the best predictor. My actual score was one point behind it!

Reactions: Kaizen

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey congratulations on such an awesome score !! :D
I had few qs, please find some time to rep.
-Do you think biostats & psych is enough if i do these two from tiki taka notes & UW?
-Clinical mastery series u did online? Or do u have them offline?
-Which nbme would u suggest to take 1st? I plan to do only 2 online, so plz tell me the order in which i should do them?
-U mentioned u did all the nbmes so how did u manage time with them? Did u start doing them from the beginning of prep or in ur last mth? Plz elaborate a bit.
-Lastly i am doing UW qbank these days i started off with getting 55%..then moved onto 68%..but that's fluctuating b/w 55-60% :( , my exam is in mid June & i was planning to take 1st nbme in apr end, so would u suggest me to do an nbme now in apr end? or should i wait until my uw qbank score gets better? Also i haven't yet completed IM review so maybe that's a reason for my low UW score but anyway plz advise..

I apologize for so many qs, but plzz rep..
Awaiting...
Thanks & Enjoyy :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts