USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 27-year-old woman comes to the physician because of vaginal bleeding, nausea, and vomiting. She says she recently had a positive home pregnancy test and her last menstrual period was 7 weeks ago. Pelvic examination shows an enlarged uterus and a pelvic ultrasound shows a multiloculated cystic structure within the uterine cavity, but there is no clearly defined embryo. Serum hCG levels are markedly elevated (>100,000 mIU/mL). The intrauterine mass is removed by dilation and curettage, and placental-like tissue is seen but there is an absence of fetal tissue. Which of the following karyotypes is most likely to be found in the specimen?

A) 23,X
B) 45,XO
C) 46,XX
D) 47,XXY
E) 69,XXY

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think you mean C .... "not D" (aungawa)... Yes its complete H mole with 46XX, while partial moles have 69XXY and thats when some fetal tissues are present

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes i agree it s C

Complete mole:
1-whole placenta is neoplastic ,
2-no embryo,
3-both chromosomes are of male origin (46,XX),
4-"snowstorm appearance'with ultrasound

Partial mole
1-part of placenta neoplastic
2-69,XY(egg with 23,X is fertilized by a 23,X anda 23,Y sperm
3-embryo present

·
Banned
82 Posts
since partial mole is result of fertolization of one ovum by 2 or even 3 sperms so it should be possible to have any of these genptypes in zygote;(can be triploid or tetraploid ;FA)
so not just 69xxx but also 69xxy ,69xyy ,92xxxx,92xxxy,92xyyy,92xyy are possibilities.
or no there is not such thing and i am just making up new mole genotypes?:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts