USMLE Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...Just wanted to clear an idea. If someone completes graduation in 2011 and applies in sept 2015 for 2016 residency match, will it be considered 4 yrs or 5 yrs since graduation??:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey guys...Just wanted to clear an idea. If someone completes graduation in 2011 and applies in sept 2015 for 2016 residency match, will it be considered 4 yrs or 5 yrs since graduation??:confused::confused::confused:
What do you mean by completes graduation? is it the year you finished medical school? or is it the year you fulfilled your medical school and your internship year?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2011 is the year I completed my internship. In our medical certificate issued by the university, they have mentioned the graduation year as 2011. :) @yazz

·
Registered
471 Posts
2011 is the year I completed my internship. In our medical certificate issued by the university, they have mentioned the graduation year as 2011. :) @yazz
if they stated clearly that your graduation year is 2011 on your degree then start counting from there. otherwise some universities deal with the issue differently as in they require you to complete the internship year for receiving the certificate that will be dated with the year you completed medical school NOT your internship for example :
joe finished his medical school in 2010 but to physically receive his certificate he must complete his internship by 2011 yet his certificate that he got is dated a year back 2010.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean if my gradution yr is 2011 and i apply on sept 2015 for matching in 2016, will they count 2011-2015 i.e 4 yrs or 2011-2016 i.e 5 yrs?? Thanks yazz

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have also heard conflicting things about this. I was under the impression that it is counted from the date of graduation (per your certificate) to the date you join residency. e.g. if you apply in sept 2015, you are applying for a july 2016 spot, so it would be countd from 2011 to 2016. Why don't you contact the ECFMG directly to ask them about this? Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts