USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A routine physical examination demonstrates hypercalcemia in a 40-year-old man. Circulatory levels of parathyroid hormone are also elevated. Exploratory surgery of the neck reveals diffuse hyperplasia of all four parathyroid glands. Which of the following screening studies would most likely be helpful in confirming the diagnosis of multiple endocrine neoplasia, type I (MEN I)?

A. Pentagastrin-simulated calcitonin secretion
B. Serum epinephrine
C. Serum gastrin
D. Serum norepinephrine
E. Urinary adrenaline:noradrenaline ratio

·
Registered
77 Posts
C. Serum gastrin ?

A routine physical examination demonstrates hypercalcemia in a 40-year-old man. Circulatory levels of parathyroid hormone are also elevated. Exploratory surgery of the neck reveals diffuse hyperplasia of all four parathyroid glands. Which of the following screening studies would most likely be helpful in confirming the diagnosis of multiple endocrine neoplasia, type I (MEN I)?

A. Pentagastrin-simulated calcitonin secretion
B. Serum epinephrine
C. Serum gastrin
D. Serum norepinephrine
E. Urinary adrenaline:noradrenaline ratio
C. Serum gastrin ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
yes i think the ans is C . pancreatic endocrine tumor ( zollinger -Ellison syndrome) is a gastrin secreting tumor . everyother choice is for mens 11A

·
Registered
487 Posts
C

yup i also select C serum gastrin...
MEN 1...
Wermer's syndrome
Tumors of 3 Ps: Pancreas, Pituitary,
and Parathyroid
in pancreas it is a Gastrin producing pancreatic adenoma...(ZE Syndrome):happy:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep.u re ryte.
In multiple endocrine neoplasia, type I (MEN I), parathyroid hyperplasia and/or adenomata are associated with pancreatic and duodenal endocrine tumors and endocrine hyperplasia. The most common secretory product of the pancreatic and duodenal endocrine lesions is gastrin. Pituitary adenomata may also occur in MEN I.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts