USMLE Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm an IMG from the Netherlands and plan to the USMLE in june.
I really wanna start studying for USMLE step 1 next week, but i'm looking for a good scheme. Normally for exams i know exactly what to learn and when to start with each subject, but with the step 1 i have no clue and it's making me nervous as hell.

I plan on using First aid, Pathoma and probably Uworld.
How much time should i spend on each subject and in which order?
I know time is relative to the person studying, but i sort of need a guideline.
Roughly what i should do each day something like that.

Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi,

Your 8 week study schedule depends on how well you know your material. How many times have you reviewed first aid and UW? What are your NBME scores? Because if you are just beginning, I am afraid 8 weeks is not enough time. I am just trying to be realistic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually i havent started with anything yet.
I had 2 exams the last 6 months regarding all the bachelor theory which is basically everything, so i kinda studied everything once again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually i havent started with anything yet.
I had 2 exams the last 6 months regarding all the bachelor theory which is basically everything, so i kinda studied everything once again.
Hi Sharvinz,
as a personal advice I would suggest you to avoid underestimating the Step 1. You may regret it.

Before even starting to study, just to realize what we are talking about, try the kaplan qbank for free for 1 month.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand the concern u guys have, but everyone at my University spends 4-8 weeks on USMLE and passes with high scores. So i should be able to do that aswell, next week i have an appointment with some of the people to help me out.

Just hoped to get more advice here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry I didn't know your background
Your very confident and you need that in Step 1.
I suggest start with an NBME to assess your areas of weakness and build a schedule around that.
As for Qbanks, I think Kaplan Qbank is a waste of time. Stick to UWorld only! A lot of the questions I had on my step 1 exam were similar to UW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I didn't know your background
Your very confident and you need that in Step 1.
I suggest start with an NBME to assess your areas of weakness and build a schedule around that.
As for Qbanks, I think Kaplan Qbank is a waste of time. Stick to UWorld only! A lot of the questions I had on my step 1 exam were similar to UW.
Thank you for this advice could u elaborate on the NBME i've googled it and what i come up with is that it is an self assesment test. However what are the particular differences between 13 16 etc..?

·
Registered
111 Posts
NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners) self-assessment services is the most accurate way you can assess you readiness for the exam (+/- 5). The best NBMEs for Step 1 are 13, 15, 16, and 17. I did all four before my exam. The most recent NBMEs such as 16 and 17 are closer to the real exam today.

I would start with 13 or 15. See what your score is …

This is the website: https://nsas.nbme.org/home

You have to make an account.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts