USMLE Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me ... what is preferred ... giving up step 1 rightaway if you are confident to 90-94 percentile and applying as a fresh grad or droppin a year for 99 score but getting yourself a tag of old grad.. in which case we would expect more interviews?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
2 years after graduation is not considered old grad by all means
Most people agree that the Old Grad Tag (as you called it) is when crossing the 5 year threshold after graduation.

So my answer to your question will be wait another year if you feel that will let you get 99 instead of 90.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I disagree with Sabio

get 90 and go for the match , you will be matched in a great place

don't waste another year of your life hoping for the 99 and you may never get it :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great i have two contrasting opinions which one should i follow? guys plz help me

are you sure me to be matched at a great place with 90 score?:eek:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
great i have two contrasting opinions which one should i follow? guys plz help me

are you sure me to be matched at a great place with 90 score?:eek:
In fact it's the same opinion
I agree with Sabio that you are not labelled old grad if you have only 2 or 3 years after graduation.
But my point is that why waste another year if you can get 90 to 95
In other words,
Fresh <1yr grad + 90 score = Fresh <3yr grad + 99 score

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can anyone help me ... what is preferred ... giving up step 1 rightaway if you are confident to 90-94 percentile and applying as a fresh grad or droppin a year for 99 score but getting yourself a tag of old grad.. in which case we would expect more interviews?
I think even if you postpone the exam, how sure are any of us that our score will be 99? Questions change all the time, new stuffs are inputed every now and then. My advice will be, go for it when you are adequately prepared, first take the NBME to see how you do, but don't postpone it for 1 whole year!:)We can never be sure that 1 whole year of prep means 99.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wish someone would've told me that fresh, fresh grad trumps 99. A profile like this: 220/220/pass YOG 2013, gets plenty of interviews (if not more) comparable to a profile like this: 240/240/pass YOG 2009.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I wish someone would've told me that fresh, fresh grad trumps 99. A profile like this: 220/220/pass YOG 2013, gets plenty of interviews (if not more) comparable to a profile like this: 240/240/pass YOG 2009.
Unfortunately I have to say no.

Many programs have no cut off or 5 years cut off which they look at the degree year.

They filter out based on STEP scores

I know from last year programs that require 2 years graduation year choose people with 260 on steps over fresh grads

·
Registered
433 Posts
Unfortunately I have to say no.

Many programs have no cut off or 5 years cut off which they look at the degree year.

They filter out based on STEP scores

I know from last year programs that require 2 years graduation year choose people with 260 on steps over fresh grads
More programs have a YOG cut off than a 220 cut off.

I'm not saying a low score, but anything above 220. If you're a fresh grad (2013) with a flawless profile, you're almost guaranteed an invite to most IMG-friendly programs.

Many, many programs have a 3 year cut off.

A 260 is way above average. Of course someone with a score like this will get insane amounts of invitations even if he/she graduated 4 years ago. But most programs prefer 220s/2013 over 230s/2009.

That said, provided you're within the 5 YOG cutoff, if you feel you can bump your score up by 20 points, then by all means, take an extra year. Especially if you're bumping from 210 to 230; 230 to 250.

·
Banned
83 Posts
More programs have a YOG cut off than a 220 cut off.

I'm not saying a low score, but anything above 220. If you're a fresh grad (2013) with a flawless profile, you're almost guaranteed an invite to most IMG-friendly programs.

Many, many programs have a 3 year cut off.

A 260 is way above average. Of course someone with a score like this will get insane amounts of invitations even if he/she graduated 4 years ago. But most programs prefer 220s/2013 over 230s/2009.

That said, provided you're within the 5 YOG cutoff, if you feel you can bump your score up by 20 points, then by all means, take an extra year. Especially if you're bumping from 210 to 230; 230 to 250.
I understand what you are saying, but the hard truth is that they filter by scores first. Right now I emailed couple of program with 2 year cut off, they told for sure apply since my scores are stellar. 250/260/cs-1

·
Registered
19 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but the hard truth is that they filter by scores first. Right now I emailed couple of program with 2 year cut off, they told for sure apply since my scores are stellar. 250/260/cs-1
Even if a program filters scores first, with the amount of fresh grads applying every year they can still later filter YOG and get enough applicants. Programs place that criteria on their website because they are confident they will still get enough fit that criteria.

On the opposite end, some programs do make exceptions. If they find a candidate who exceeds their criteria in all aspects but one, they may extend an interview invite. Also "the good old" personal connection invite, will happen regardless of criteria.

OLD IMGs should apply to programs where they meet the criteria, however if they have some money to spare they should research some extra programs to apply to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts