USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wish someone would've told me that fresh, fresh grad trumps 99. A profile like this: 220/220/pass YOG 2013, gets plenty of interviews (if not more) comparable to a profile like this: 240/240/pass YOG 2009.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Unfortunately I have to say no.

Many programs have no cut off or 5 years cut off which they look at the degree year.

They filter out based on STEP scores

I know from last year programs that require 2 years graduation year choose people with 260 on steps over fresh grads
More programs have a YOG cut off than a 220 cut off.

I'm not saying a low score, but anything above 220. If you're a fresh grad (2013) with a flawless profile, you're almost guaranteed an invite to most IMG-friendly programs.

Many, many programs have a 3 year cut off.

A 260 is way above average. Of course someone with a score like this will get insane amounts of invitations even if he/she graduated 4 years ago. But most programs prefer 220s/2013 over 230s/2009.

That said, provided you're within the 5 YOG cutoff, if you feel you can bump your score up by 20 points, then by all means, take an extra year. Especially if you're bumping from 210 to 230; 230 to 250.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.