USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....
I am an international medical graduate & I am intending to take the first step USMLE in December this year.... my problem is that I am a little bit old ,I am 40 years old I was graduated in 1994 from the medical college and then I took 4 years Board in pathology in 2001 from overseas and I was a teacher of pathology for the medical students since 2003 till 2009 so I am familiar a little bit with the basic sciences.... I 've been here in USA just since Feb.2010 .... I feel that I am not confident ....can you give me some advices and tips please .... the other question can I get some financial aid to get into the kaplan's courses ? as a loan to be paid later?
I am confused ...should I contact the board of pathology here ....I have published researches and articles in pathology ... can I do anything In USA without taking the USMLE exam or that should be the first step to begin my career in USA even thought I am already a professor in my country!!!!
please I need your help and advice and I really appreciate your help in advance.

:sorry:

·
Registered
365 Posts
You need to pass your steps USMLE Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3 to get a licensed in the USA.

Kaplan is good to pick up what you forgot. I assume you can only get a personal loan from your bank to go to kaplan.

Look online and you can get Kaplan videos that are up to date if you can't afford the classes. The notes should be online as well.

try www.thepiratebay.org to see if you can find the Kaplan courses. I suggest you type in Kaplan 2010.

you'll need a bit torrent client to download them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hello....
I am an international medical graduate & I am intending to take the first step USMLE in December this year.... my problem is that I am a little bit old ,I am 40 years old I was graduated in 1994 from the medical college and then I took 4 years Board in pathology in 2001 from overseas and I was a teacher of pathology for the medical students since 2003 till 2009 so I am familiar a little bit with the basic sciences.... I 've been here in USA just since Feb.2010 .... I feel that I am not confident ....can you give me some advices and tips please .... the other question can I get some financial aid to get into the kaplan's courses ? as a loan to be paid later?
I am confused ...should I contact the board of pathology here ....I have published researches and articles in pathology ... can I do anything In USA without taking the USMLE exam or that should be the first step to begin my career in USA even thought I am already a professor in my country!!!!
please I need your help and advice and I really appreciate your help in advance.

:sorry:
You will have to do your steps and you will do them well. You being a teacher in Pathology will surely help you a lot. One of the major subjects will be not much of a bother for you and other subjects which help understanding pathology will be easier for you as well. Integration of concepts is something you will do more than before when you start studying.

As for the matter of Kaplan courses, I agree with the above advices. There are many IMGs who follow the same route due to lack of resources in terms of money.

Its a long and difficult journey but not a impossible one surely.

ALL THE BEST and feel free to ask any more queries if you have any. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Spend some money on Kaplan if you can - I believe Kaplan themselves offer financial aid and banks have lines of credit. The interaction with other med students and professors will help you along with the material and you'll get used to thinking like a student again. Otherwise just set a realistic time-line and schedule for yourself and test yourself regularly and honestly.

I'm sure we've all seen success stories of people older and and in poorer situations that you. You will definitely succeed if you put your mind to it. 40 is the new 30 ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts