USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
My exam is about two months away, I wanted to ask you guys about what anyone would recommend I add to my ongoing plans:

Gross anatomy & Neuro> BRS once
Biochemistry> Kaplan twice
Micro & immunology> Kaplan twice
Genetics> Kaplan once + backup BRS
Pathology> Kaplan once + Goljan audio (not notes or RR)
Pharma> Kaplan once (mainly) + a few things from Lippincott
Behavioral> Kaplan once
Physiology> BRS once

FA> Still on it
UW> Still on it (although scores don't look well)
>>If UW is done, I might consider another Qbank if there's time (any recommendations? is it Kaplan Qbank)

P.S. A friend of mine got 99 two months ago, I called him and asked about his study plan, he said, "FA & 8000+ questions"..Does it make sense?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Kaplan and FA are fine for Pharm - you don't need Lippincott - there's enough in those two to confuse you. I'd look at the pictures for Goljan too as that helps either in RR or the slides that are floating around with the audio.

And yes - more and more questions. Read the explanations for the questions thoroughly. You should have enough time.

Oh and of course, NBME forms at appropriate intervals.

·
Registered
487 Posts
hey ashish....u did NBME?
i did form 1 but offline so wondering how much we hv to score from 200 to get 99? i mean it should be 160up or 170up...??

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot Ashish & Khushboo, Does it sound like a 95+ plan? or is anything missing?
And yes you are right, seems that questions are more important that studying..
All other opinions are very welcome..

·
Registered
625 Posts
@ Zein - you're absolutely right - questions are more important than studying. A typical med student is the kind that wants to know things because we like studying but the USMLE and most standardized tests are designed to trap us and run us out of time that we. You need to learn the tricks that the exam writers use and qbanks are the only way to do that. You can get 95+ in two months - I've seen people do it. Do 12 hours and day and you know enough already to carry you through the rest. A couple of Kaplan revisions are good if you have time, but again questions questions questions :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
hey ashish....u did NBME?
i did form 1 but offline so wondering how much we hv to score from 200 to get 99? i mean it should be 160up or 170up...??
@khushboo I did do form 1 Khushboo, but I've been told since that it was a stupid idea to do that form... I don't know. I don't know if you'll agree with me but I thought did emphasize areas I felt were low yield nowadays. I did terribly on the form - like 370 (correlates to Step 1 score of 194 according to them) and if you accept that a 235 if about 99 then you needed a score of 560 on that form.

The problem is that there is no way to correlate that to an actual number of correct answers or percentage of correct answers accurately so, I'm not sure exactly how many questions you have to get right to get 560, but if you use some of the other correlators online it's about 75-80% correct. Seems a little high to me, but I guess it's more motivation to make you work harder ;)

Bottom line - I think the way to do this is to do an online form when you are done going over the material as many times as you're going to do it. Then you do one of forms 4,5,6 or 7 and then whatever you get is how ready you actually are. I think if you get above 500 you should probably write it within a week or two and above 550 sooner than that. Does that help? I know I ranted a little bit ;)

Ashish

·
Registered
487 Posts
well i know its hard to predict from offline form....i shall do form 6 or 7 online..
i got 82.5% correct on form 1...but i find it was quite easy...n may not correlate with the actual exam...as Qs were of only 2 or 3 lines n straight forward...well m still doing that usmle consult...its taking too much time...
my exam is after 2 n half month....yet to do Uworld...

·
Registered
625 Posts
well i know its hard to predict from offline form....i shall do form 6 or 7 online..
i got 82.5% correct on form 1...but i find it was quite easy...n may not correlate with the actual exam...as Qs were of only 2 or 3 lines n straight forward...well m still doing that usmle consult...its taking too much time...
my exam is after 2 n half month....yet to do Uworld...
Yeah - if you don't get 99 I'm going to cry ;)

If you're this ready before UW I'm sure you'll be able to pick up the minute little details that are left and then you'll be ready to tackle almost anything. Keep it up! Post some of the more unusual questions you see... I want to write mine within a month but I haven't done an NBME in a few months so I think I should do one this week or so before I decide... I'll post any odd questions I see!

·
Registered
487 Posts
ya sure...i'll...actually not getting much time nowadays....
but will try to...
thanks for encouraging... :)
neways best of luck....u'll do good... :)

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Ashish
Thanks for your advice, Do you recommend another Qbank? anything specific after UW?

@ All
My scores started on UW awfully, (No no, less than that..we are talking 40s!), things started getting slowly better starting question 300+, is it normal?

@All
If I am greedy and need that 99, What to add to that plan in those 2 months? I understood that another Kaplan run could help..anything else?

Thanks everyone.:D

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
@ Ashish
Thanks for your advice, Do you recommend another Qbank? anything specific after UW?

@ All
My scores started on UW awfully, (No no, less than that..we are talking 40s!), things started getting slowly better starting question 300+, is it normal?

@All
If I am greedy and need that 99, What to add to that plan in those 2 months? I understood that another Kaplan run could help..anything else?

In addition to UW and Kaplan, get yourself USMLE Consult, it's great bank and is made by Goljan himself.
You can get it for free from this website :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was going to say USMLE consult too - I did the free 30 questions or whatever they have and I would argue it was similar to UW in terms of difficulty and style. Kaplan's not bad either - some of their questions have become crazy hard though - I did that one but make sure you do the latest questions and not the ones floating around from years ago - those were really direct.
Also, I have heard people say wikitestprep is very similar to some people's exams as well and since its free I'd do those as well if you have some time.

@ Ashish

@ All

@All

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, I don't know how to thank you, You rock:D,

What about:

@ All

@All

Those two points are quite important for me, Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Guys, I don't know how to thank you, You rock:D,
What about:
Those two points are quite important for me, Any ideas?
Yes, it's normal to start with a low UW score and gradually picking up. In fact, if you did not tell me then I'd have worried about you. Keep doing questions and revising your materials and gradually you'll find yourself in the safe zone of UW which is 65-70%.
One important note, this UW percentage should be only for first time questions, random, and timed blocks and not anything else.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
741 Posts
Dont be scared

That's scary, I am currently getting around late 40s to early 50s, still in question 400 though..

People who say "UW = 66%", are they talking about overall performance? or the latest blocks (I mean at the end of the bank)? or the self assessment exam? or what?

I am scared now:scared:
Don't be scared. Your performance should gradually escalates as you do more and more questions.
The recommendation is that you see the last "10 blocks" in your UW and see their average. The overall performance is not good because it's skewed by your early bad performance.
As for the UWSA, it gives you itself a prediction of your estimated USMLE three digit score when you do it, so you don't need to worry about the percentages when it comes to UWSA.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts