USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ask you about doing Elective at Emory University, Is it a very big name?
Because there is a doctor who told me that he would help me.

What about Mount Sinai university? UC-Los Angeles? UC-San Diego?
Are these very big names in medicine?
May you order them from best to worst (including Emory)??

I asked Sabio before about something like that. But a doctor from USA told me a strange thing that Emory is not so good!!
I trust Sabio as myself, but I want to know more ideas

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Thanx for reply,
Then do you mean that Emory is a big name or not?
Yeah still a big name but less big than the others :))
You know what,
Getting an elective in any university in US is a big thing and you shouldn't be so picky about it.
Just get any University elective and am sure that will be your rocket towards an awesome residency.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about University of Texas Southwestern & Virginia University ??
May you order them too between the Universities above?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you did not stop your picky thoughts!
It seems you are suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder :))
No!!but I am really confused about that.
I have only two months to do elective,not every year nor everytime.
Since elective in a big name university is better than a normal university, I want to determine what universities are big names then try to apply for them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is clear now, the doctor from Emory told me that he would sponsor me for a cardiology rotation in the heart failure service at Emory University Hospital. I asked him about activities that I will do there; he told me that it is inpatient heart failure cardiology service.

I am planning to do 2 months, he told me that he could only sponsor me for his own service. He added that two months of heart failure may be too much for me & he advised me if I can go somewhere else or doing different elective in the next month.

So what is your advice about:

Is it good what is called "inpatient heart failure cardiology service" ?

According to my knowledge & I asked people before about doing two months in the same field is better than different fields.
So what you suggest? make 2 months of heart failure surface or try to do different elective in the second month?

·
Registered
741 Posts
It is clear now, the doctor from Emory told me that he would sponsor me for a cardiology rotation in the heart failure service at Emory University Hospital. I asked him about activities that I will do there; he told me that it is inpatient heart failure cardiology service.

I am planning to do 2 months, he told me that he could only sponsor me for his own service. He added that two months of heart failure may be too much for me & he advised me if I can go somewhere else or doing different elective in the next month.

So what is your advice about:

Is it good what is called "inpatient heart failure cardiology service" ?

According to my knowledge & I asked people before about doing two months in the same field is better than different fields.
So what you suggest? make 2 months of heart failure surface or try to do different elective in the second month?
Two months in heart failure service is good but one month in heart failure and another month in the MI service is even better!
Diversifying your elections (all within the confines of the same specialty) is better than sticking to one department. Moreover, this will give you chance to get more LoR from different attendings.
I suggest you join that doctor and once you are there you start looking for other electives. If you can do 6 months of electives, your residency match will be guaranteed, even if you have low scores.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two months in heart failure service is good but one month in heart failure and another month in the MI service is even better!
Diversifying your elections (all within the confines of the same specialty) is better than sticking to one department. Moreover, this will give you chance to get more LoR from different attendings.
I suggest you join that doctor and once you are there you start looking for other electives. If you can do 6 months of electives, your residency match will be guaranteed, even if you have low scores.
Thank you very much.
The problem is Emory requires that sponsor doctor be in the same elective field since I will rotate with him.
My sponsor is in Heart Failure Service only so I can not do elective in MI service.
But there is another doctor is a hospitalist & told me he could sponsor me in internal medicine round, he told me also he could ask some nephrologists if they could sponsor me.

So what do you suggest dear Rasheed?

P.S: since you are in TEXAS, what about University of Texas southwestern?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thank you very much.
The problem is Emory requires that sponsor doctor be in the same elective field since I will rotate with him.
My sponsor is in Heart Failure Service only so I can not do elective in MI service.
But there is another doctor is a hospitalist & told me he could sponsor me in internal medicine round, he told me also he could ask some nephrologists if they could sponsor me.

Yes, OK go with the hospitalist also.
UT is also a great place for electives and it would be awesome if you get a rotation there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Emory elective

Thank you very much.

Hi! I am new to this site... M a final year student..From May 2010, I started emailing emory medicine faculty for sponsorship in accordance with Emory policy as stated on its website.. Finally in july 2010 a gastroenterologist showed interest to sponsor me.... Getting him convinced took another month and half n finally he forwarded his letter of interest to the elective co-ordinator at Emory... A few days later, in sept 2010, the clerkship director of IMed got back to me with an application form (different from one given on Emory website) and a guideline letter... To my astonishment, the letter mentioned that international students NO LONGER REQUIRE A SPONSOR!!!!! The application form had to be filled and irrespective of my sponsorship status, elective would be approved only if space was available!:rolleyes: Further, I have been asked to wait for 3 whole months to receive a reply!!!! this is quite frustratin for me....

Those who did/have been accepted for an Emory elective for 2010-2011 - I shall be grateful if u cud let me know whether the process was same for u or no? Especially whether an elective request cud b rejected even after managing to find a sponsor! :redcheeks; M spending sleepless nights over this issue from the past month n half!! :redcheeks;

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately, I face the same problem!!! nothing is clear!!
But I did not receive the other special form!! I received the new guidelines only. May you tell me about that new form?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately, I face the same problem!!! nothing is clear!!
But I did not receive the other special form!! I received the new guidelines only. May you tell me about that new form?
Thanks for replyin quickly good_boy_1234.... Basically the director forwarded me a word document... not that it has anything extra from whats given in the website form... but jus that i had to fill out that form..
what reply did u get xactly from emory? i wud b grateful if u cud b more precise! thanks:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess you still can try another place, Emory isn't everything.
There is a long list of free places. I can't understand why specifically Emory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@USMLE rookie

I guess you still can try another place, Emory isn't everything.
There is a long list of free places. I can't understand why specifically Emory.
Thnx for ur advice buddy.. cud u pls provide me d list of these free places.. i already visited aamc..i dun hav step1... hav already checkd out nih, kumc,rochester...:notsure:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts