USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I got accepted in an ACTING INTERNSHIP ROTATION & an ELECTIVE. which is better and more of a hands-on-clinical-experience ? Please guide because I have to choose one of these ... Thanking in anticipation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
are they both in the same month or in the field later you want to pursue?
Sub-internship: It is the most superior form of USCE that an applicant can have (in my opinion). The learning opportunity is immense at the level of a medical student. Its the same as an elective except that the level of responsibility is more and one added distinctive feature is an on-call participation with your team. This means that you spend the whole/most part of night with your team in addition to your day rotation. I like Sub-Internships the most because they give you the Maximum possible opportunity to spend more and more time with your team/attending, and you have all the time in the world to learn and they have a greater flexibility of time to teach you stuff compared to busy day time. Plus, traditionally the US doctors like it alot if you spend extra time, they take it as a proof of your commitment. Sub-internships are very useful if you desire a future residency in a Surgical specialty. You should always prefer electives that have in their discription 'student functions as an intern' or is titled sub-internship per se.
Clinical Elective : A clinical elective is an optional away rotation that a final year medical student can do outside the hospital of his/her parent institute to gain Clinical Experience. It can be at your home country and it can be at any other country in the world, but if your ultimate aim is to apply for a residency in USA, then your elective in a US based hospital will be most valuable in your Resume.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@khan89:
Thanx for a detailed information.
The Acting Internship I have is in January in vascular surgery. And the elective is in jan too in peds endocrinology. I want to choose the one with the most hands on experience.
I haven't selected my field yet. But I surely won't go for peds residency in the future. Surgery most probably.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.