USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys i have this query... i read in one of the banks i think usmlerx that in down syndrome children it's acute megakaryocytic leukemia thats most prevalent... i have heard of it for the first tym... everywhere they say ALL is most prevalent.... wat do u say???

·
Registered
209 Posts
ALL is more prevalent but they saw few cases of AML too

so based on the age u can figure it out i guess

but again most common prevalent is ALL

·
Registered
3 Posts
guys i have this query... i read in one of the banks i think usmlerx that in down syndrome children it's acute megakaryocytic leukemia thats most prevalent... i have heard of it for the first tym... everywhere they say ALL is most prevalent.... wat do u say???
The q-bank is right. Down syndrome is definitely associated with AML more than ALL, especially with M7 subtype. Generally children with 21 trisomy have 20-fold higher incidence of leukemia than other, but when it comes to M7 (that one in your question) the incidence is even 500-fold higher, this subtype is a rare one in normal population.

Such high incidence in children with Down syndrome is connected with GATA-1 mutations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm getting confused :)

I was always told: child with Down syndrom - think of AML.

I've searched for some data to solve this question, it stated that AML is more common in younger children (up to 5 years old) and when the child gets older it's ALL like in the normal population.

Although, these children have really much more higher risk for developing AML than children without chromosomal abnormalitites.

So I guess the question was not very precise, because we have no age.
Still, even without given age, I'll stick with AML.
Since it is so characteristic for that trisomy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts