USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should we address a female patient? Should we tell her miss or Mrs.!

Obviously a lady may not like it if you push her back to her premarital status by telling her Miss and on the hand it's almost insulting to address an unmarried woman as being Mrs.!

The way out is to ask your female patient right from the start. How would you like me to address you, Miss or Mrs?

This shows your courtesy and clears out any doubts in your heart.

Some teachers advocate the use of Ms. (pronounced Mizz) see Wikipedia article as a generic to cover both situations but I think that most our SPs are not aware of this fact so better to avoid it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
weather to call miss or mrs

In a case senario it is usvally written like 30 yo wf c/o cough.but it is not written weather she is married or not.So how should we refer them, Mrs/Miss?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Call all women by Ms. (pron. miss). This title is appropriate for any woman, whether married or not.

The American Heritage Book of English Usage states that: "Using Ms. obviates the need for the guesswork involved in figuring out whether to address someone as Mrs. or Miss: you can't go wrong with Ms. Whether the woman you are addressing is married or unmarried, has changed her name or not, Ms. is always correct."[16]

·
Registered
64 Posts
In my opinion, in order to be prudent, use Mrs for any body > 18 yo and u may take the risk of saying miss if age < 18 yo. In real life women dont find it funny when u mistaken their appelations and it would be more dangerous if its an SP!

·
Registered
752 Posts
In my opinion, in order to be prudent, use Mrs for any body > 18 yo and u may take the risk of saying miss if age < 18 yo. In real life women dont find it funny when u mistaken their appelations and it would be more dangerous if its an SP!
I disagree. Single young women do not like to be called as if they're older married women. On the other hand, older women may even like it if you called them miss! So miss (or Ms. in written form) is safer. By the way, I got this tip from the Kaplan Online Live course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts