USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am currently going into my second year of Med School in the US. I have summer now and am researching at hospital for a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to start studying for step 1. I was planning on maybe doing a few hours a day. Would you advise going threw a few subjects in the Kaplan lecture notes or First Aid? I know summer isn't a very long time so I was debating whether on starting Kaplan right now is a good idea since their lecture notes are pretty long. Also what subjects do you guys advise I review in the summer from year 1? Thanks in advance for the advice guys!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Good time to start

This is the perfect time to start preparing for Step 1.

I'd say you start hitting on Kaplan notes, do the Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochemistry this Summer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! Also since I'll be doing research over the summer, I was wondering if I were to choose any of those topics to review over the summer which one should it be: biochemistry, physiology, or anatomy? I'm somewhat limited in time, but will try to do at least 1-3 hours a day. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
But?

Is there someon wanted to share how each day accomplished 11 hours study . . I am little confused with the time management, especially those who still in the medical school ?? can anyone please tell me hehehe:p:p

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! Also since I'll be doing research over the summer, I was wondering if I were to choose any of those topics to review over the summer which one should it be: biochemistry, physiology, or anatomy? I'm somewhat limited in time, but will try to do at least 1-3 hours a day. Thanks!
considering u just finished 1st yr, yr anatomy will still be fresh. do that, then physiology (or both together while alternating). u should be able to finish it with 3 to 4 hrs studying a day over the summer. and while in second year, keep going with the step 1 kaplan studies in the order proposed (somehow it will also help u understand what your lecturer teaches in class later!! true story..:))

·
Registered
919 Posts
Is there someon wanted to share how each day accomplished 11 hours study . . I am little confused with the time management, especially those who still in the medical school ?? can anyone please tell me hehehe:p:p
u need to prioritize. u have too much on yr plate. what do u want to achieve? are u all talk or are u willing to work hard for it? here let me give u your 11 hrs:

wake up at 5am (study from 5.30 - 6.30) then go for yr 7 am class. sit at the back of the class and study another 4 hrs during lectures. go home immediately (leave out the extra curriculum activities u seem to have made your daily life priority). study another hour, then have lunch. continue studying again from 2 or 3 pm till u complete another 5 hours. have a satisfying dinner and sleep by 10pm..

the days u don't have class, study from 6.30 am till 12.30, have lunch, continue again from 2pm till another 5 hours. if u're behind schedule, u may want to put in extra hours on the weekend. but i doubt with 11 hrs a day anyone can be behind schedule unless u just read too slow. :rolleyes:

if u have evening classes (clerkship), read when the drs are not around instead of wasting time sitting around and talking. u can definitely squeeze in an hour there. during clerkship, if u can do 8 hours a day, it'll be good enough.

to prioritize i mean taking the step and leaving behind yr social life a bit. once the exam is over u can always catch up with yr social life. social life wont give u a good future more so than just mere comfort.

ps: to everyone else, yr schedules must be different. i go to school with silakan isi so its easier for me to know what he should do instead. :happy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks Seetal

hello seetal,

thanks so much for your advice.

i'm also a med student and i was wondering how can i put my times to start the preparation for step 1. thanks to your advice, now i know how i can arrange my times.

your advice is almost perfect for me (i'm an IMG) except that i have class from 8am till 2:30pm. (including the clerkship).but as u said, 8hrs will be good then.

anyway, thanks a lot for your help.
thank u so much

·
Registered
919 Posts
good luck redrosses.

with the right attitude and commitment we are going to nail this exam. there was a recent post (just finished the exam), where the exam was said to be easy (i may be paraphrasing). i guess the point i want to make, the exam is easy for those that study enough n not just put in enough hours (because u can either sit blank in front of a book for an hour or do some serious studying in that hour n benefit from it).

i used to post this narcissistic msg on my msn everytime i had an exam: "if exams are tough, then u aren't clever enough". i know it sounds harsh, but then sometimes being narcissistic n proud of urself helps motivate u further.

so be proud n narcissistic everyone!! we're nerds n we should be proud of it!! :))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts