USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am currently going into my second year of Med School in the US. I have summer now and am researching at hospital for a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to start studying for step 1. I was planning on maybe doing a few hours a day. Would you advise going threw a few subjects in the Kaplan lecture notes or First Aid? I know summer isn't a very long time so I was debating whether on starting Kaplan right now is a good idea since their lecture notes are pretty long. Also what subjects do you guys advise I review in the summer from year 1? Thanks in advance for the advice guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! Also since I'll be doing research over the summer, I was wondering if I were to choose any of those topics to review over the summer which one should it be: biochemistry, physiology, or anatomy? I'm somewhat limited in time, but will try to do at least 1-3 hours a day. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
But?

Is there someon wanted to share how each day accomplished 11 hours study . . I am little confused with the time management, especially those who still in the medical school ?? can anyone please tell me hehehe:p:p

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! Also since I'll be doing research over the summer, I was wondering if I were to choose any of those topics to review over the summer which one should it be: biochemistry, physiology, or anatomy? I'm somewhat limited in time, but will try to do at least 1-3 hours a day. Thanks!
considering u just finished 1st yr, yr anatomy will still be fresh. do that, then physiology (or both together while alternating). u should be able to finish it with 3 to 4 hrs studying a day over the summer. and while in second year, keep going with the step 1 kaplan studies in the order proposed (somehow it will also help u understand what your lecturer teaches in class later!! true story..:))

·
Registered
919 Posts
Is there someon wanted to share how each day accomplished 11 hours study . . I am little confused with the time management, especially those who still in the medical school ?? can anyone please tell me hehehe:p:p
u need to prioritize. u have too much on yr plate. what do u want to achieve? are u all talk or are u willing to work hard for it? here let me give u your 11 hrs:

wake up at 5am (study from 5.30 - 6.30) then go for yr 7 am class. sit at the back of the class and study another 4 hrs during lectures. go home immediately (leave out the extra curriculum activities u seem to have made your daily life priority). study another hour, then have lunch. continue studying again from 2 or 3 pm till u complete another 5 hours. have a satisfying dinner and sleep by 10pm..

the days u don't have class, study from 6.30 am till 12.30, have lunch, continue again from 2pm till another 5 hours. if u're behind schedule, u may want to put in extra hours on the weekend. but i doubt with 11 hrs a day anyone can be behind schedule unless u just read too slow. :rolleyes:

if u have evening classes (clerkship), read when the drs are not around instead of wasting time sitting around and talking. u can definitely squeeze in an hour there. during clerkship, if u can do 8 hours a day, it'll be good enough.

to prioritize i mean taking the step and leaving behind yr social life a bit. once the exam is over u can always catch up with yr social life. social life wont give u a good future more so than just mere comfort.

ps: to everyone else, yr schedules must be different. i go to school with silakan isi so its easier for me to know what he should do instead. :happy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks Seetal

hello seetal,

thanks so much for your advice.

i'm also a med student and i was wondering how can i put my times to start the preparation for step 1. thanks to your advice, now i know how i can arrange my times.

your advice is almost perfect for me (i'm an IMG) except that i have class from 8am till 2:30pm. (including the clerkship).but as u said, 8hrs will be good then.

anyway, thanks a lot for your help.
thank u so much

·
Registered
919 Posts
good luck redrosses.

with the right attitude and commitment we are going to nail this exam. there was a recent post (just finished the exam), where the exam was said to be easy (i may be paraphrasing). i guess the point i want to make, the exam is easy for those that study enough n not just put in enough hours (because u can either sit blank in front of a book for an hour or do some serious studying in that hour n benefit from it).

i used to post this narcissistic msg on my msn everytime i had an exam: "if exams are tough, then u aren't clever enough". i know it sounds harsh, but then sometimes being narcissistic n proud of urself helps motivate u further.

so be proud n narcissistic everyone!! we're nerds n we should be proud of it!! :))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.