USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Difficult but not impossible

Difficult Yes.
Impossible No.

Many programs do not set an age limit but they do prefer and desire fresh graduates.

The main reason behind that is not your age as this is against the law to discriminate against age but the reason is that they don't like people who have been away from the medical field for long time after graduation since they usually lose their skills.

Having said that, you are age will be diluted if you prove for them that you have not been sitting idle after graduation such as working in your home country.

However, most Americans (including doctors and program directors) are skeptical of overseas experience as they don't have a clear scale with which they can gauge your performance.

Bottom line, the match is becoming more and more difficult for "Old Graduates" but still many of them can still make it to the match specially in non-competitive specialties such as family medicine, psychiatry, and pediatrics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi.. i have completed my MBBS in 2008 and then i did residency(M.S.) in general surgery in India which completed in 2011..i did private practice for about 1& half yrs and currently i am a senior resident in delhi.. i have just started preparing for usmle step 1... i have few questions..
1 - what are my chances of getting residency in surgical branches if i manage to get high scores?
2 - will doing residency in india can help in any way?
3- after completing all steps, how much time generally it will take before getting residency..
4- is still gonna need usca or clerkship in us??
4- what are the other options ?

i have a lot of confusion regarding this..
please do comment..
thanks in advance

·
Registered
70 Posts
Age is not the issue here. The real issue is the YOG. Even if you're already 40 yo but for as long as you're YOG is very recent, say < 2yrs, then you're not technically considered an old IMG. In fact, ERAS common application form does not indicate your age or birth date. So PDs would not know your age but they would know your YOG. PDs can have idea though of your age from your photo but it is optional to submit the photo (although I believe 99% of us here sent our photos regardless of whether the prog requires it or not).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Age is not the issue here. The real issue is the YOG. Even if you're already 40 yo but for as long as you're YOG is very recent, say < 2yrs, then you're not technically considered an old IMG. In fact, ERAS common application form does not indicate your age or birth date. So PDs would not know your age but they would know your YOG. PDs can have idea though of your age from your photo but it is optional to submit the photo (although I believe 99% of us here sent our photos regardless of whether the prog requires it or not).
Agree with this.
I'm 40 and graduated this past year (2013).
While I haven't matched yet, I have plenty of interviews.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts