USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the would work, its not that they wouldn't! Its a matter of they're just never gonna be the D.O.C. for glaucoma patients because a1 antagonists are designed to target the a1 receptors in the heart, why would you want to do that???
Three points regarding your answer
First, alpha one receptors are not in the heart, they are in blood vessels.
Second, didn't they use beta blockers for glaucoma, isn't that going to affect your heart!
Third, epinephrine and ephidren are used in certain cases in glaucoma so alpha one receptors are already utilized to tackle the glaucoma problem.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here's what I think the reason;

Treatment of glaucoma is either decrease AH production or increase the outflow through the canal of schlemm
Beta blocker decrease production
M3 receptor agonist increase the outflow -- parasympathetic cause ciliary muscle contraction and relaxation of suspensory ligaments and so they aid in the outflow of the aqueous. Therefore, antimuscarinic are contraindicated.
As for alpha one receptors they are not involved in the ciliary muscle at all so the use of blocker or agonist is not going to work. However, agonists may be used to cause vasoconstriction and thereby decreasing the associated inconvenient congestion seen in open angle glaucoma.

This is just my thought of it and I have no reference

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.