USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approximately 10% of the patients with familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis have an autosomal dominant mutation in copper/zinc superoxide dismutase gene SOD1. one therapy unde investigation for treatment is hammerhead ribozyme. which of the following best describes the mechanism by which a hammerhead ribozyme would be expected to treat ALS?

A. Ribozyme mediated degradation of mutant SOD1 mRNA
B. Ribozyme mediated destruction of mutant SOD1 gene
C. Ribozyme mediated inhibition of mutant SOD1 splicing
D. Ribozyme mediated inhibition of translation of mutant SOD1 mRNA
E. Ribozyme mediated inhibition of transcription from mutated SOD1 gene
F. Ribozyme mediated targeting of mutant SOD1 protein for destruction by the proteosome

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes guys its A ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
explain me how it works??? i gotta confused on this question

·
Registered
2 Posts
i also think that the answer should be choice A

but i don't certain about that answer please kindly explain me about the mechanism of interaction

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I think the idea here is that hammerhead ribozyme works on the RNA molecule itself. Only Choice A is presenting a direct action on an RNA molecule.

·
Registered
73 Posts
main topic in wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerhead_ribozyme

Short version: self-cleaved RNA. In the natural state - ss RNA and in the absence of protein enzymes - autocatalitic. The hammerhead ribozyme carries out a very simple chemical reaction that results in the breakage of the substrate strand of RNA, specifically at C17.

Just ribozyme - is ribonucleic acid enzyme or RNA enzyme or catalytic RNA. They catalyze hydrolysis of own phosphodiester bonds or in other RNA. So hammerhead is distractorhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzymes

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does anybody have a hint whether Dicer & Drosha are considered ribozymes?
(Dicer & Drosha are considered potential therapeutic targets in ovarian Ca).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts