USMLE Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my step 1 report yesterday.. 228 first attempt.. I'm awfully frustrated because I did much better on the NBME forms that I took.

Is it considered a low score? I'm an IMG aiming for IM or Peds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took form 15 back in november, and extended my eligibility. 16 & 17 were 3 months later before I took my test. the real deal was nothing like the nbme though, and a lot of people who took the test recently are saying the same thing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I took form 15 back in november, and extended my eligibility. 16 & 17 were 3 months later before I took my test. the real deal was nothing like the nbme though, and a lot of people who took the test recently are saying the same thing.
so your exam was totally NEW to you? none of the questions resembled the tests u took ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey. It sounds really scary. Can you please elaborate " the real deal was nothing like the nbme". It was tougher ? It was new ? What were the topics most tested ? Please guide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The questions were much much longer than those of NBME and Uw, to the point where I had to scroll down two pages to get to the choices. Huge graphs. biostats were straightforward and didn't need a calculator, and time was painfully short in the first 4 blocks. They did acknowledge the time issue and the exam is going to have less questions now, but I missed around 6 questions when I ran out of time on those blocks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congratulations for getting done with the exam.
First of all, regarding your question whether 228 is sufficient or not. It is not a spectacular score (I know most people on the forums are scoring much higher these days). But it's definitely not a bad score either. Look at the stats. 228 is around the average score. So before anything else, take out the idea from your mind which makes you believe that it's a bad score. Take it what it is "an average score".
Now regarding the quiting/continuing issue. Have you been following the match results this week? Do you know some people with low scores matched and some with much higher scores couldn't! Match is a game. And it does not depend on step 1 score only. There are many other factors: step 2 score, cs, step 3 score, YOG, visa needed/GC status, USCE, LORs, research experience, contacts, how competitive specialty you applied to, how broadly you applied, application on time or late, personality/performance during interview, and above all LUCK.

It's about the whole package. If one part of your application is a little bit less, work to make other parts stronger. Get going. The journey didn't end here, infact it has just begun. Enough said.

Now please share a little bit of more of your experience. Your study material, qbanks etc stuff. Did you do all NBMEs or just the ones you mentioned above?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you san.usmle, I guess I will have to keep going, and hopefully I'll do better in ck; and try to do some research and get LORs. As I said I'm aiming for Peds or IM. YOG 2015 (end of mandatory internship), visa needed.

I only did the nbme forms that I mentioned. Did Uworld 3 times and kaplan q bank once. FA, Pathoma, Kaplan notes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.