USMLE Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am a bit confused with the answer given by Kaplan note 2013 in biochem book. In the review questions:-

1)The peptide ala-arg-his-gly-glu is treated with peptidases to release all of the amino acids. The solution is adjusted to ph7, and electrophoresis is performed. In the electrophoretogram depicted below, the amino acid indicated by the arrow is most likely:

a) Glycine
b) Arginine
c) Glutamate
d) Histidine
e) Alanine

Anw: Arginine
Can anyone please help me to understand why is it arganine? Arganine and histidine are both in R- positive groups. On what basis do we know that it is the most basic or acidic? Do we have to memorise them by heart?

2)The reaction catalysed by hepatic phosphofructokinase-1 has a G0 value of -3.5 kcal/mol. This value indicates that under standard conditions this reaction

G: cannot be gluconeogenesis

I cant really understand the concept of this thermodynamically spontaneous/non spontaneous reaction. Any recommended reading, or explanation from anyone?

Your help is much appreciated! Thanxxx

:eek: confused mode

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.