USMLE Forums banner

Another failed IMG here :)

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  shielamonroeim 
#1 ·
Guys, I'm tired and I don't think I can do this anymore.

Re-applying next year means more time and money that my family just does not have. I feel really badly about asking them to try again when I know that chances are non-existent. It would be really selfish of me to re-apply and throw more money down that dark hole.

Nobody is more positive-minded than I am, but I have to face reality and call TOD.

Lol, I work at a call centre filled with failed IMGs...looks like its time I accepted that I am just one of them.

#2 ·

Re-applying next year means more time and money that my family just does not have. I feel really badly about asking them to try again when I know that chances are non-existent. It would be really selfish of me to re-apply and throw more money down that dark hole.

Nobody is more positive-minded than I am, but I have to face reality and call TOD.

Lol, I work at a call centre filled with failed IMGs...looks like its time I accepted that I am just one of them.
I'm sorry for this
but share ur scores ,usce and yog
so if we can know where did go wrong and suggest for u .
Also is it ur 1st time applying ??
Don't give up .u don't know where the best for u .

#3 ·
Do not sweat it...

Do not sweat it...:(!)--RE-BOOT NOW!

I was in your boat several years back with several failures and no USCE and no hope!...here I am now in 4th yr (chief rez) IM...just email me direct (enycity at g mail; put "residency advice needed" into the subject header) for more tips including setp 3 for upgrade (i've got some good sources to get you there) and --basically that you have to fit into the system as it stands now--e.g., get USCE, and make contacts and fill out beautiful ERAS Cvs and personal statements..GL for the next match--YOU CAN DO IT-i..e, I DID!

#4 ·
inspiring words!!

Do not sweat it...:(!)--RE-BOOT NOW!

I was in your boat several years back with several failures and no USCE and no hope!...here I am now in 4th yr (chief rez) IM...just email me direct (enycity at g mail; put "residency advice needed" into the subject header) for more tips including setp 3 for upgrade (i've got some good sources to get you there) and --basically that you have to fit into the system as it stands now--e.g., get USCE, and make contacts and fill out beautiful ERAS Cvs and personal statements..GL for the next match--YOU CAN DO IT-i..e, I DID!
Thanks for those inspiring words, congrats on your success. I am planning to apply this September. Any advice would be really appreciated. IMG from Cuba, yog 1996, passed step 1, step 2ck and cs in the next three months. Please help! duanyjuanc at outlook is my email. thanks in advance

#5 ·

I'm really sorry and rather surprised since your scores aren't too bad. How many interviews did you get any do you have any red flags you haven't mentioned??

#6 ·
One interview. 234/219, yog 2013, Canadian (i.e., no GC), 1 month usce.

To build application for next year would need a ton of usce and step 3. Problem is, I can't afford to be in the U.S and be unable to work (Canadian). My family really needs my paycheck. Which is why I think I have to throw in the towel. Financially, it is just not feasible. Also, my mom's health goes up and down due to her chronic condition. Only God Knows, but she can't afford for me to waste another year applying and waiting around.

#8 ·
Your mother would want you to continue! Too early to qui! DO step 3 it will keep you sane determined and try the best you can but don't quit! you have come too long way for that! for each one of us it would be a disaster not to match, personally financially 95% are struggling to survive people. Lot of them have amazing family support lot of them don't so don't give up. Focus on finding some research. i never searched for it but lot of people do tones of them. and find some sites try the General Topics on this forum

#9 ·
Failed

Step 1 - 231
Step 2 CK - 236
Step 2 CS - pass
Step 3 - 229
All first attempt

YoG - 2011

3 months USCE. 3 US LoRs. 3 home country LoRs.

Applied to 187 programs.
2 interviews.

Did NOT match.

I don't know where I went wrong. But I do know my dad is an old man. He can't do this anymore.

#10 ·

last year I met a wonderful IMG female from Colombia. She told me she applied 4 years in a row to dermatology until she mached in derm. This road is a road about perseverance. Doing just about anything will be easier than Going through this path. You already passed the hardest part, giving up know will set you up for a lifetime of frustration and personal disatisfaction. Be smart man. Working in a Call center? Dont take it personal, but even I could find a better job that could allow me to network, get to know people in the medical field or so. You are working in a field outside medicine which is filled with people who gave up (you mentioned tons of IMGs that gave up).. So remember, by beholding you will become changed, and will soon loose all sight of hope. RE-BOOTH now!.
We all have financial struggles!! its sucks to be old and to have people depend on you financially and not being able to compromize a lot of things... but you are not the only one in that boat man! Sorround yourself by people with the same goal, keep up the Good work! and you will make it!
Just as a reference, I know somebody that matched after the 7th year!! No kidding!! (he finished residency 3 years ago and is as happy as he could ever be, it was all worth it)..
So, you didnt match, Okey.. Cry it out! mourn it, Re-Booth! and move on!!
And please, contact your local residency department and try to get involve in research, (you dont even have to leave you call center job) but man.. if you are going to play that card... play it smart! :)
And please dont get offended by my words, that is not my intention. But hard times, require hard words!
Big hug! :)

#13 ·
have you guys considered other options? i m not suggesting to give up on the dream of matching into a US residency program.. but have you considered other options? US is not the only place. keeping in mind you all are IMGs and looking for places you can apply to there are some options that can be explored.. Singapore has a residency program, so does new zealand and some other places i m not sure of but i m certain you can find out.. so if you think you really cant afford to (both emotionally and financially) apply for the coming cycle, think of plan Bs. we are "doctors" for heaven's sake.. we have it better than so many people. so lets just buckle up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.