USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 28 yr old woman presents with complaints of irritability and moodiness. She gives a history of brief episodes of auditory hallucinosis and suspiciousness. Her speech is slightly slurred. Which one of the following conditions is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Wilson disease
B. Folate deficiency
C. Hyperparathyroidism
D. Pick"s disease
E. Sydenham chorea

·
Registered
316 Posts
i m also thinking fo nothing xcept Pick's disease.... bt can picks disease be at a young age of 28???

·
Registered
487 Posts
Pick's disease usually has its onset between the ages of 40 and 60 years, but extreme cases have been reported with onset as early as 21 and as late as 80.
source google..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no,you are wrong................

D.Pick"s disease
ANS is WILSON DISEASE(HEPATOLENTICULAR DEGENERATION) usually becomes symptomatic in the second or third decade of life,The initial signs often include personality and mood changes........Transient episodes of psychosis may occur.The disease process involves the putamen and the corpus callosum,resulting in movement or muscular signs such as the dysarthria manifested here.Hyperparathyroidism is associated with anxiety and personality change, and folate deficiency is associated with birth defects.Pick"s disease causes dementia.Sydenham chorea is noted for movements.:)):))

·
Registered
316 Posts
i m confused!!!

ANS is WILSON DISEASE(HEPATOLENTICULAR DEGENERATION) usually becomes symptomatic in the second or third decade of life,The initial signs often include personality and mood changes........Transient episodes of psychosis may occur.The disease process involves the putamen and the corpus callosum,resulting in movement or muscular signs such as the dysarthria manifested here.Hyperparathyroidism is associated with anxiety and personality change, and folate deficiency is associated with birth defects.Pick"s disease causes dementia.Sydenham chorea is noted for movements.:)):))
i dont think this can be Wilson's disease!!! picks disease is a disease of Fronto-temporal cortex characterised by dimentia and personality changes... auditory centre is in temporal lobe thus auditory hallucinations, moreover personality change are more in picks disease whereas neurological symptoms often in the form of parkinsonism (increased rigidity and slowing of routine movements) with or without a typical hand tremor, masked facial expressions, slurred speech, ataxia (lack of coordination) or dystonia (twisting and repetitive movements of part of the body), Seizures and migraine appear to be more common in Wilson's disease... so i realy think this question points more towards pick apart from the age issue!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts