USMLE Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 65 y/o man on the 5th day of hospitalization for an acute anterior myocardial infarction has recurrent of chest pain and an increase in both CK-MB and Troponin-1. The patient MOST likely has?

A. papillary muscle dysfunction
B. a right ventricular infarct
C. a ventricular aneurysm
D. a myocardial rupture
E. reinfarction
F. Dressler's syndrome

very easy one. lol

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You say easy one, but all of those are complications of an MI.

A. Papillary muscle dysfunction. Nope.
B. RV Infarct, could be.
C. Ventricular Aneurysm, I dont think so.
D. Myocardial Rupture, could be.
E. Reinfarction, less possible since he's probably already on anticoagulants, or has undergone a bypass.
F. No signs of fevers, or symptoms of pneumonia, so nope.

I would have to guess Myocardial Rupture. :notsure:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say easy one, but all of those (or atleast most) are complications of an MI.

A. Papillary muscle dysfunction. Nope.
B. RV Infarct, could be.
C. Ventricular Aneurysm, I dont think so.
D. Myocardial Rupture, could be.
E. Reinfarction, less possible since he's probably already on anticoagulants, or has undergone a bypass.
F. No signs of fevers, or symptoms of pneumonia, so nope.

I would have to guess Myocardial Rupture. :notsure:
Do not worry if you get it wrong. I want you to know these facts and concepts for your exam. Most of my qns are already tested on the RRRR Exam.. you know what I mean.....! Try your best.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
@patelMD - Dressler's syndrome is not a pneumonia, its a complication of MI
Yes, you are right, but symptoms mimic it, that's what I remember from learning Medicine. Symptoms consisted of a persistent low-grade fever, chest pain etc. And in this case because its at the 5th day, it can't be it since Dressler's was to begin after 2 - 3 weeks.

Seems that I have made a fatal mistake of reading the question improperly. It said recurrent chest pain haha, that would obviously be an acute state, so a reinfarction would be the best choice.

·
Registered
298 Posts
E

I would guess E because of the elevated CK-MB. Normally, CK-MB levels are only elevated for up to 3 days post-MI (from my understanding) so if they are elevated on day 5, I would suspect reinfarction. CK-MB is commonly used as a marker for re-infarction.

On the other hand, Troponin is elevated and stays elevated for about a week. Therefore this is not a great marker for reinfarction.

There is not much evidence to point to any of the other answer choices.

Papillary muscle dysfunction would cause holosystolic murmer
Dresslers would cause pericardial friction rub (autoimmune pericarditis). plus this occurs 2-10 weeks post-MI
Rupture could be possible, especially in this time frame but is not common

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
E) reinfarction

Seems that I have made a fatal mistake of reading the question improperly. It said recurrent chest pain haha, that would obviously be an acute state, so a reinfarction would be the best choice.
reinfarction
I would guess E because of the elevated CK-MB. Normally, CK-MB levels are only elevated for up to 3 days post-MI (from my understanding) so if they are elevated on day 5, I would suspect reinfarction. CK-MB is commonly used as a marker for re-infarction.

On the other hand, Troponin is elevated and stays elevated for about a week. Therefore this is not a great marker for reinfarction.

Dresslers would cause pericardial friction rub (autoimmune pericarditis). plus this occurs 2-10 weeks post-MI
Guyz, you all correct. I'm impressed.

Correct ans is E) reinfarction

B/c reappearance of CK-MB after 3 days is the definition of reinfarction.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I remember this from the Goljan Audio....

Reinfarction is very common after the 3-4th day post-MI

Nice question.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Thank you for explaining why the other answers are wrong. I jumped the gun and chose A as the answer b/c i saw 5 days & i recognized in FA 5-10 days has increased Papillary muscle rupture . However, i skimmed over lab results. Grr.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts