USMLE Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Please Share what questions you got since the format/qbank changed for the exam. Also what topics from "safety science and quality care" did you guys get??
The format really just shifted to be a little more like CK (44 instead of 46 questions, etc.). That difference is hardly noticeable.

The safety science and quality care thing incorporates a lot of QI concepts, root cause analysis, culture of safety, avenues of reporting, and outcomes data.

I'm working on putting together some videos on it because I think they will be very easy questions if you're familiar with the terms. I saw some on my CK and on some shelf exams; definitely had to guess my way through a couple since I had never heard of the terms before (ie. forcing function, workaround, failure mode and effects analysis, etc.).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The format really just shifted to be a little more like CK (44 instead of 46 questions, etc.). That difference is hardly noticeable.

The safety science and quality care thing incorporates a lot of QI concepts, root cause analysis, culture of safety, avenues of reporting, and outcomes data.

I'm working on putting together some videos on it because I think they will be very easy questions if you're familiar with the terms. I saw some on my CK and on some shelf exams; definitely had to guess my way through a couple since I had never heard of the terms before (ie. forcing function, workaround, failure mode and effects analysis, etc.).
You're super awesome for that great reply, please let me know more about where to study this stuff from or if you would be willing to share your compilation when ready! Thanks again

·
Registered
255 Posts
you have a website with videos ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm trying!

It's especially difficult because there isn't any really good source of information, so I'm having to cobble it together from many different ones. I promise I'll get it out there as soon as I can though! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

I wouldn't worry too much regarding the step changes. I mean, for the most part, we still have to study with the same resources as in UFAP. The screen shot in this message is the current Step 1 exam content from USMLE.org (http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/step-1/2015content_step1.pdf) and you can see majority of the content is still testing concepts from uworld, fa, and so on.

Here is what Dr. Kudrath (Kaplan Physio prof) wrote on his facebook page regading the new changes: "There is some level of anxiety over the change in the format of step one ...and that is understandable as change solicits anxiety. The new format will consists of 308 ,about 44 /block. Even though there are about 14 less question in exam , they will place more emphasis in physician/patient relationship (behavioral science).I fully support this change . A student can memorize all the facts about diseases and basic science but if he/she cannot translate the gat into a successful patient outcome , then that is useless".

The behavioral science part can be tackled with KLN, Fa, world, and 100 cases by Dr. Fisher..totally doable!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
This link directs to the index of that book ?

Apparently these two subjects on safety and quality care are taught to fisr and 2nd yr AMGs.Are there any American medical Grads here who can shed light on what is taught to them and if there is a well written book we can follow?
try to scroll up when you open the page. you'll see new section called section 3. this deals with social sciences.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts