USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just completed my 4th yr MBBS n i m appearing for step 1 in may. So what should i study to get a good score?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi! I just completed my 4th yr MBBS n i m appearing for step 1 in may. So what should i study to get a good score?
In my opinion, u could get started with kaplan videos and notes for all subjects except for pathology for which i would anyday suggest pathoma videos(dr.sattar).
I have also read in the forums that a few different books for physiology (like BRS physiology) and micro( microbiology made ridiculously simple) are helpful altrernatives to kaplan . But i havent gone through them , so dont know much about it. But for patho do watch pathoma videos and notes instead of kaplan.

after you are done with your first reading, u cud combine FA and kaplan in your second read and annotate things from kaplan onto Fa for things that are not there in Fa(if u want to make FA your base book )

once you are confident with this much, you could buy usmle world subscription online(online preffered over offline,but some of my friends have done offline n got decent scores..so if u have the money,do go for online version). Do randomn timed questions from Uworld and note down the explanations onto FA.

You do this much and you are almost ready for the exam after a few revisions of FA whenever you feel confident with all the info.

Finally you take nbme (mock tests).These exams will predict how well prepared you are and if you get a good enough score to one you are targetting,you can go on and give your exam :D

Note - there are also few more question banks like usmle rx and kaplan qbank and its always good to do them if u have the time , but uworld is the best of them and u should be done with that atleast.

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
What about normal course books like harrison or robbins?
Ummm...huge mistake. First of all, Harrison isn't even tested on Step 1. I don't know why you mentioned it. For the pathology/morphology perhaps, but don't do that to yourself.

Stick to the review books and Kaplan Lecture Notes. Watch videos. Kaplan videos when you're doing Kaplan lecture notes, but Pathoma when you do pathology. Listen to Goljan's audio. Do as many practice tests & Qbanks as you can fit.

Only go to reference texts (Robbins, Guyton) to clear up concepts that elude you in the review books. Definitely don't go to a book that isn't even related to a subject being tested on the Step 1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts