USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 28-year-old male arborist is brought to the emergency department by his coworker. The patient lost his balance while atop a tree and slipped, barely avoiding a fall by grasping a limb with his right arm. He is unable to flex his wrist or move several of his fingers. There is numbness of the medial arm, forearm, and hand. Which of the following injuries is most likely?

A. Axillary nerve
B. Inferior trunk of the brachial plexus
C. Long thoracic nerve
D. Superior trunk of the brachial plexus
E. Thoracodorsal nerve

·
Registered
919 Posts
looking at the scenario (falling off a tree and grabbing it quick) i wanna say D. superior arm of brachial plexus.

but the loss of feeling in the medial aspects of the arm and forearm sort of point towards long thoracic nerve injury.

so im stuck between the two. but still considering the scenario, my final answer will be D.:eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
ulnar nerve comes from C8 T1 the last 2 come from the inferior trunk. The lesion describes MEDIAL LESION hence ulnar nerve is injured which mostly comes from the inf trunk. Correct me?And even if you made a mistake and think its the median nerve due to inability of flexion (which both ulnar and median nerve has functions) still the inferior trunk is the one that is damaged. Correct me?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts