USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, is it possible for an Indian who graduated from Russia or any other foreign Country and who is presently doing his/her internship in India apply for a clerkship? If yes, please do mention the requirements to apply for clerkship.

·
Registered
741 Posts
No country limitation

Applying for elective rotations in USA (before you graduate) or observerhips and externships (after you graduate) does not have country limitations.
Any medical student or graduate from any country can apply.

Most of the universities do not have special requirements (other than letters from your school as proof your a medical student, and some other formal stuff)

However, some universities require that you Pass USMLE Step 1 before you can apply.

You should search the various medical schools in USA and see what specific requirement they have each one of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Rasheed!

Could you please clarify whether " an Indian who graduated from Russia or any other foreign Country and who is presently doing his/her internship in India apply for a clerkship(specifically)?"

As I am not clear whether I am considered as a student or a graduate. Please clarify this for me, as I came to know that clerkship is offered to students only.

·
Registered
546 Posts

Could you please clarify whether " an Indian who graduated from Russia or any other foreign Country and who is presently doing his/her internship in India apply for a clerkship(specifically)?"

As I am not clear whether I am considered as a student or a graduate. Please clarify this for me, as I came to know that clerkship is offered to students only.
When you get your certificate what ever you are doing= Graduate

In some countries..Internship is part of medical education since students will not get the certificate without doing it, they are still students.

Whereas in other countries, after you finish your medical education & receive you certificate, you have to do obligatory internship.
It is not for university but it is for minister of health in order to get approval to practice medicine at this country, so you are a graduate.

Good Luck

·
Registered
405 Posts

What i know about Russian system is that they don't have any "internship" year as such, just 6-7 years filled with "practicals". If you are one of those Indians who has finished the course with the certificate and are working in India after passing MCI for licensing then you are a graduate. You can either do

1) "Externships" which are quite difficult to get
2) "Observerships" which can be gotten but not all programmes count it is as USCE.

You can read more about it in details here : http://www.usmle-forums.com/externships-observerships-clerkships/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts