USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me in very very basic terms what the following 4 terms mean. I have included a very basic definition for some:

1. Recombination- Only happens in segmented viruses?
2. Resortment- only happens in Influenza virus? Whole genomes get exchanged?
3. Complementation
4. Phenotype mixing

I have read First Aid and the Uworld explanations but find it rather difficult and tend to get these answers wrong.

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Simple Hints

Recombination:
Recombination in other words in genetic shift. A person sitting in a Bus A, swaps his seat with an almost exactly similar Bus B with a better seat standing right next to it. So they just slide the seat between each other.
The change in genetic make up is small, enough to evade our normal treatment/prevention measure but usually not big enough to be uncontrollable.
Genetic Shift/Recombination has potential to cause epidemics(evasion from our most common/routine responses).

Re-assortment:
Reassortment is genetic drift between similar genetic makeups. it's an outright change of material with/from another species with a close-looking genetic makeup. Think of this as swapping a seat from one bus with another person sitting in the subway. Has the ability to cause pandemics because of it's potential to have previously unknown, unrelated product.

Complementation:
When one lacks something the other close-by has. When the two meet they make a good team by helping the other one out by giving him what he doesn't have.

Phenotypic Mixing:
Related viruses having a capsid(The outwordly appearance-the phenotype) a mixture of each other. Virus A and Virus B mix producing a Virus A Nucleic Acid core with a capsid of A+B proteins mixture and Virus B genetic material covered by a capsid made up of A+B.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Recombination:
Recombination in other words in genetic shift. A person sitting in a Bus A, swaps his seat with an almost exactly similar Bus B with a better seat standing right next to it. So they just slide the seat between each other.
The change in genetic make up is small, enough to evade our normal treatment/prevention measure but usually not big enough to be uncontrollable.
Genetic Shift/Recombination has potential to cause epidemics(evasion from our most common/routine responses).

Re-assortment:
Reassortment is genetic drift between similar genetic makeups. it's an outright change of material with/from another species with a close-looking genetic makeup. Think of this as swapping a seat from one bus with another person sitting in the subway. Has the ability to cause pandemics because of it's potential to have previously unknown, unrelated product.

Complementation:
When one lacks something the other close-by has. When the two meet they make a good team by helping the other one out by giving him what he doesn't have.

Phenotypic Mixing:
Related viruses having a capsid(The outwordly appearance-the phenotype) a mixture of each other. Virus A and Virus B mix producing a Virus A Nucleic Acid core with a capsid of A+B proteins mixture and Virus B genetic material covered by a capsid made up of A+B.
:rolleyes:
hey thanks for the simplified explanation..but correct me if im wrong...isnt genetic shift causing reassortment in influenza and rota virus because of their segmented genome? i think genetic drift is in recombination and shift in reassortment.:notsure:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought Recombination is associated with Antigenic Drifts - Epidemics, and Reassortment is associated with Antigenic Shifts - Pandemics?

I have it the other way around in my book. Antigenic Shifts are a lot less controllable, hence the pandemic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts