USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a question that the answer was to start insulin on a 10 year old based on ONE RANDOM high glucose of 220

What? I have never seen this as the answer and I thought you needed 2 randoms for a trend?

WOW

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A single random blood glucose test of over 200 mg/dl is enough for the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus.

Check this reference
http://www.aafp.org/afp/981015ap/mayfield.html
Yes yet the 4 Docs I have done clerkships with including the one I'm with now that see adults and children all agree that one random glucose is not enough for them to start insulin.

Funny that real life practice is different then theory.

I may answer the question this way but I do not agree

the article does not say a random glucose of 200 but 2 glucose's above 200, which is not what the question explanation said.?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't copy and paste, and the question is not important, its the rule for the answer that is.

Any way

I continue to think about this one:indifferent:

·
Registered
32 Posts
DM [one of the criteria]

symptoms of diabetes like polyuria, polydipsia and polyphagia with single random blood glucose of >200 is diagnostic of DM...I think its given in kaplan....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
symptoms of diabetes like polyuria, polydipsia and polyphagia with single random blood glucose of >200 is diagnostic of DM...I think its given in kaplan....
What bothers me I guess is, some of these answers are more theory then practice. Even with evidence by studies all the Doctors I havedone clerkships with want a glucose tolerance test to back up DM on a Kid.

Also in Kaplan is that Dicloxicillin for staph infection never Vancomyicin first yet the infectous disease Doc here said that was wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts