USMLE Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really happy cuz i passed the exam but i'm so frustrated about the result it is
84/203.
i'm now studying for step 2ck I hope I will do good in this exam.
my question is this score in step 1 gonna help me to secure residency in the united states, I'm a permanent resident.
I'm very scared cuz this is not my dream score for step 1.
I know that competitive programs are out of my reach but can I get a position in
Internal medicine, paediatrics or -least likely- EM.
i don't like psychiatry or family medicine.
please if somebody will help me I would really appreciate it, thank you.:eek:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dear Saleem

Congrats on your score no matter how high or low it is!!! Step 1 is an achievement on itself! Always remember that for IMGs it is not only the step scores that matter. I've always known that US clinical experience with electives or observerships and research was always of great importance for getting a residency. So, if i were you I would focus on being a "rounded" applicant, with step 1 and step 2 scores as high as I could and then research or clinical. There are many people out there that do not get residencies even with high 99s because they lack the other things that I talked to you about.

Have faith and believe in you! Just accept were you stand now at this very moment and try to flourish on the things apart from step 1, and I am confident that you will be back in the game for sure!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm really happy cuz i passed the exam but i'm so frustrated about the result it is
84/203.
i'm now studying for step 2ck I hope I will do good in this exam.
my question is this score in step 1 gonna help me to secure residency in the united states, I'm a permanent resident.
I'm very scared cuz this is not my dream score for step 1.
I know that competitive programs are out of my reach but can I get a position in
Internal medicine, paediatrics or -least likely- EM.
i don't like psychiatry or family medicine.
please if somebody will help me I would really appreciate it, thank you.:eek:
What was your score in NBME or UW?
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you everbody

thank you everybody for your supportive replies
i did one NBME exam (6th form) I got 450
I hope i will get score in step 2 may be that going to help me:sorry:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I know of people who have matched with similar scores. Get research and USCE and you'll be a stronger applicant. I'd see if I can get some people to make phone calls for you (US Attendings) that makes a big difference. You passed -thats the big thing!

·
Registered
116 Posts
You should be fine , esp coz you are a permanent resident.

A lot of times that is a criteria for a lot of schools to decide, because a lot of programs have difficulty with sponsoring visa, so you still have an advantage over so many people, so be happy!
and congrats!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts