Votes: 15 15.5%
  • Combination of all

Votes: 5 5.2%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a variety of opinions about what is the best way to prepare for USMLE Step 2 CS

Some people think that a live structured course such as the one run by Kaplan is the best way.

Others think that an online course to show you the cases is fair enough.

Yet others think that a one on one tutor is what it takes to pass.

And another group feels that having a study partner is more than enough to pass the CS.

So what do you think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Sabio,
this is a great thread to start!

here's my take about it:
In any case the more you do the better
So if you have time combine them all
but if time is limited and no money to purchase those expensive live courses then an online USMLE World + First Aid for Step 2 CS + A study partner should get most people through provided they have a good command of English

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
The English command is a decider here
if your English is good you don't need to take expensive courses just some training with a friend perhaps is enough

Ever thought why American Grads pass rate is much higher than IMGs? I think it's mainly because of the language

·
Registered
238 Posts
if your English is good you don't need to take expensive courses just some training with a friend perhaps is enough

Ever though why American Grads pass rate is much higher than IMGs? I think it's mainly because of the language
Just want to ask, do you mean IMG score lower because generally their vocab is poorer, or you mean its because of their different accent? Does the accent matter?

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Just want to ask, do you mean IMG score lower because generally their vocab is poorer, or you mean its because of their different accent? Does the accent matter?
There are several reasons why IMGs fail more frequently than US grads.

One of the most important reasons is the poor English language but of course not the accent, because patients are instructed not to judge on the basis of different accents. So if you have a good command in English but your accent is clearly overseas then you don't have any problems.

Other reasons include, not accustomed to US clinical settings, not aware of the courtesy and the compassionate approach that doctors should follow here in US, and several other reasons.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There are several reasons why IMGs fail more frequently than US grads.

One of the most important reasons is the poor English language but of course not the accent, because patients are instructed not to judge on the basis of different accents. So if you have a good command in English but your accent is clearly overseas then you don't have any problems.

Other reasons include, not accustomed to US clinical settings, not aware of the courtesy and the compassionate approach that doctors should follow here in US, and several other reasons.
I see. But are there cases whereby the accent of the doctor is not understood by the patient (eg : maybe talking too fast). If the patient says "Sorry? or Pardon?", is that a bad sign?

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
I see. But are there cases whereby the accent of the doctor is not understood by the patient (eg : maybe talking too fast). If the patient says "Sorry? or Pardon?", is that a bad sign?
Yes, if your accent is so disruptive that renders the patient (non-understanding) then this would definitely affect your assessment by the patient.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Ever thought why American Grads pass rate is much higher than IMGs? I think it's mainly because of the language
you are right, its all about practice, practice, practice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.