USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm currently at my 4th year in a medical school in Prague (a 6-year program). I had in mind taking Step 1 at the end of this year so that I could take Step 2 after my 5th year and have everything ready for the match by my 6th year.

However some previous students told me that it's better for us to take Step 1 after our 5th year, cause we do internal in our 5th year, and that's when we actually gain some clinical thinking, which as they said helps quite a lot.

This would mean that I won't have all the steps ready by my graduation and I'd need to spend 1 more year to finish them all. If indeed it's worth it I wouldn't mind, but I don't know if it's worth it or not! :(

I thought I could do the F2 in UK for a year until I have all the Steps ready for the match...

Any suggestions or advice from anyone else??

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Give it a try ...

Although USMLE Step 1 exam does incorporate lots of clinical stuff but usually at the end of the question it's really all about basic medical sciences.

There are two points that make me think you are ready for Step 1 right now:

First, am sure your basic medical sciences professors have already included clinical scenarios when they taught you the basic stuff.
Second, Step 1 does not really need much of clinical "dislodgement", this is really needed for the CK, CS, and Step 3.

So here's what I suggest:

Go and have a look at 50 questions of USMLE Step 1 style, you can use our free database of Step 1 Questions, and see if the questions are doable by you and talking about stuff that you feel you can handle. In that case I suggest you go and do Step 1 right now.

But if you see that those questions are from another universe and you don't have any idea how to tackle them, then maybe waiting to finish your internal medicine course is the way to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice!

The thing that scares me is that unfortunately we have almost 0 clinical experience (not even clinical senarios!) here so far.

I already tried to solve a few questions, without any revision of course I didn't do that well, though I was thinking that with 3-4 months of revision I could get quite better.

If everything goes well, I will be applying for internal medicine, and then cardiology which is quite competitive, so that's the reason why I'm trying to find the right way and time to get the best score that I can, so that I get accepted in a good university hospital hopefully...

Also, does the application for step 1 need to be 6 months before the actual exam, or can i still apply in may for an exam at the end of september?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts