USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 56 year old male with an elevated monoclonal IgG spike on serum electrophoresis and light chain proteins in his urine. What is your diagnosis? What do you see in the slide that is characteristic for this disease? Let me know!!

Purple Violet Magenta Font Art

·
Registered
16 Posts
A 56 year old male with an elevated monoclonal IgG spike on serum electrophoresis and light chain proteins in his urine. What is your diagnosis? What do you see in the slide that is characteristic for this disease? Let me know!!
multiple myeloma what is answer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Multiple Myeloma

It is Multiple Myeloma, both the monoclonal IgG spike and light chains in urine are the markers for MM, and what is characteristic in the slide are the perinuclear halos.

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 224
DrLANC,
I agree with you about diagnosis. but how can i differentiate this from "solitary myeloma" and "monoclonal gammopathies of uncertain origin" from the question??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In MM there is a SPIKE in monoclonal immunoglobulin most commonly IgG gamma(60%) and the Bence-Jones proteins which are the light chains in the urine, the pciture showed mulitple plasma cells with perinuclear halos. In MGUS there is an increase of monoclonal immunoglobulin but not a spike, MGUS is also considered benign. Solitary Myeloma (plasmacytoma) wouldn't have the markers mentioned in the question either.
Also the picture shown is of the bone marrow of a 56 year old, by definition Muliple Myeloma is a malignant neoplasm of plasma cells arising from the bone marrow of adults.
I hope I answered your question. The clues for the answer were in the question!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts