USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A 7 year male is found to have leukemia and lab data and statistics says that he is going to die in next 6 upcoming months. His parents ask you not tell boy about his disease and prognosis. What should physician do?

a) obey parents request and don't tell boy
b) tell boy regardless of parents will
c) tell parents that i am going to arrange a meeting between doctors for this situation
d) convince parents that child needs to be told about it

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a feeling the answer is A
hate dis majority of the answers u feel will be rite wid bs :mad:
You know what...i agree wid u i think it's A since he us 7 i think ur supposed to do what the parents say as they have control over what information the child/minor shud recieve :p

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
d) convince parents that child needs to be told about it....

All patients have the right to know (even if the patient is just a kid)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have a feeling the answer is A
hate dis majority of the answers u feel will be rite wid bs :mad:
If option D was not given then yes, you're right. The answer would be A. But whenever such a question is asked and you have the option of "arrange a meeting to discuss..." or "convince to talk" .. those kinda options are more ethically right since you're not going against the parents wishes nor are you holding information from the pt ... you're trying to convey all the information you can, in the best way possible!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If option D was not given then yes, you're right. The answer would be A. But whenever such a question is asked and you have the option of "arrange a meeting to discuss..." or "convince to talk" .. those kinda options are more ethically right since you're not going against the parents wishes nor are you holding information from the pt ... you're trying to convey all the information you can, in the best way possible!
actually, the second best answer should be b) tell boy regardless of parents will. You dont have to "obey" parents request...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
actually, the second best answer should be b) tell boy regardless of parents will. You dont have to "obey" parents request...
really ?! :eek: I thought the parents make all the decisions for little kids? .. hm so if u go against the parents wishes and tell the boy ..what would that lead do? medical lawsuit ? :)) or some sorta disagreement/ conflict?

Well either way, i dont think usmle questions will take out option D in such questions!

·
Registered
623 Posts
well the child above 6yrs understands the concept of death n parents hve authority of making decision regarding child health unless its a life threatening situation where parents re interfering with doctors duty
so ill go with D....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Actually no, You dont tell the kid unless parents say so, this is not a matter of emergency where you do the best interest, even if the case says : "You Just diagnose Leukemia, should you tell the kid ? No, parents decide what to tell...

In other word, the question is asking "Who decides what to tell to the kid" ?

Always the parents have the right, This rule does not cover life-threatening or serious emergencies (where the doctors decide for the best interest of the kid).

The best way to act as a doctor here is to tell the parents to talk about it... Answer D. " always encourage patient to talk their problems", then the Next best answer is A.

If you choose Option B, mostly you will be sue, you are liable for that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I will go for A. For two reasons. 1: he is a minor, so parent consent take the order. 2: the Childs perception of death for is age is not fully grown to understanding that death is irreversible, inevitable and universal. :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Actually no, You dont tell the kid unless parents say so, this is not a matter of emergency where you do the best interest, even if the case says : "You Just diagnose Leukemia, should you tell the kid ? No, parents decide what to tell...

In other word, the question is asking "Who decides what to tell to the kid" ?

Always the parents have the right, This rule does not cover life-threatening or serious emergencies (where the doctors decide for the best interest of the kid).

The best way to act as a doctor here is to tell the parents to talk about it... Answer D. " always encourage patient to talk their problems", then the Next best answer is A.

If you choose Option B, mostly you will be sue, you are liable for that.
I think in this particular case the answer is D).

But what if the parents say "we don't want to discuss this" and "we're not going to tell him that he has cancer, period!"...I´m not sure that "don't tell the kid unless parents say so" is the right ethical answer...:scared:

·
Registered
167 Posts
ANS: d convince the parents that the child needs to know.parents are in denial and not ready to accept.eventually the child will have to be told.:))

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think in this particular case the answer is D).

But what if the parents say "we don't want to discuss this" and "we're not going to tell him that he has cancer, period!"...I´m not sure that "don't tell the kid unless parents say so" is the right ethical answer...:scared:
In fact, the ethical here is to tell the parents to talk to his kid, and the best next answer is A, Parents have the rights to decide what to tell to the kid, even in these circumstances. So, when i said "Dont tell the kid if parents say so" IS the same, if they decide not to tell the kids, we have to obey that and dont tell, if we do, we are liable.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts