USMLE Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 65 year old man presented with hesitancy, frequency, dribbling, and sense of incomplete bladder emptying. Rectal examination revealed enlarged and nontender prostate. Urinalysis revealed no protein, glucose, WBCs, or RBCs. Serum prostate-specific antigen was 1.2 ng/mL (normally <4). Which of the following is the most appropriate treatment?

A- Alpha adrenergic antagonist
B- Sodium restriction
C- Antibiotics with activity against gram negative rods
D- Competitive inhibitor of prostate estrogen receptors
E- Loop diuretics

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
919 Posts
yeah A for sure. u see the difference. months back i answered A, but now with practice i know where there's no infection or when his BPH is not due to overactivity of DHT (low PSA), then u only need to ease his urination. alpha-blocker it is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
answer A

Tricky , took me by suprise , i was thinking of the Dht blockers , but correctly mentioned its usefulness is well restricted for the treatment of Ca prostrate
:eek: .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bph treatment

A 65 year old man presented with hesitancy, frequency, dribbling, and sense of incomplete bladder emptying. Rectal examination revealed enlarged and nontender prostate. Urinalysis revealed no protein, glucose, WBCs, or RBCs. Serum prostate-specific antigen was 1.2 ng/mL (normally <4). Which of the following is the most appropriate treatment?

A- Alpha adrenergic antagonist
B- Sodium restriction
C- Antibiotics with activity against gram negative rods
D- Competitive inhibitor of prostate estrogen receptors
E- Loop diuretics
A. Alpha adrenergic antagonist

1 - 10 of 10 Posts