USMLE Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glucagon, Gastrin and VIP?
Nice try! Gastrin is one of them. It stimulates growth of the gastrointestinal mucosa (except for in the esophagus and the antrum), and also growth of the exocrine pancreas.

Glucagon and VIP have not been shown to have trophic effects; particularly, glucagon is a catabolic hormone so it's more for breaking down things instead of stimulating growth.

Next try for the other two? :p

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nice try! Gastrin is one of them. It stimulates growth of the gastrointestinal mucosa (except for in the esophagus and the antrum), and also growth of the exocrine pancreas.

Glucagon and VIP have not been shown to have trophic effects; particularly, glucagon is a catabolic hormone so it's more for breaking down things instead of stimulating growth.

Next try for the other two? :p
Lol! Should have gussed insulin atleast! But nice question neway!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about INSULIN, and CCK... ?
Great work, we're getting closer :) CCK is the second one! CCK has a trophic effect on the exocrine pancreas.

Insulin isn't one of them; although insulin is an anabolic hormone and you might expect it to be trophic, the trick is it's a pancreatic hormone! The hormones with trophic effect are gastrointestinal (gastrin from the antrum of the stomach, CCK from the duodenum and jejunum).

Now for the hint for the third one: it's made in the duodenum, and it has a trophic effect on the exocrine pancreas.
For special bonus points, give the specific cell types that make all three hormones!

·
Registered
373 Posts
i think its

Insulin, Gastrin & CCK

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, you're all right!

Nice work everyone! The 3 GI hormones with trophic effects are indeed Gastrin, secretin and CCK.
Gastrin stimulates growth of the exocrine pancreas and the gastrointestinal mucosa (except for the esophagus and the antrum) .
Secretin and CCK stimulates growth of the exocrine pancreas.

In long term intravenous feeding (or in partial resection of the small intestines for tumor removal or bariatric surgery) , the gastric mucosa and exocrine pancreas can undergo atrophy as these hormones are not being secreted.

No takers on the bonus question??? Come on, high yield for Step 1!
So, which cells secrete these hormones?

I'll give the first one: Secretin is secreted by S cells in the duodenum. How about CCK and Gastrin?

·
Registered
487 Posts
CCK - secreted by I-Cell in the mucosal epithelium of the small intestine.

Gastrin - G cells of the duodenum and in the pyloric antrum of the stomach.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. thank you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CCK - secreted by I-Cell in the mucosal epithelium of the small intestine.

Gastrin - G cells of the duodenum and in the pyloric antrum of the stomach.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. thank you.
You're correct! Let us keep studying and helping each other everyone, it will pay off in the end :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts