USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...
I am an img...i was preparing for usmle...gave my step 1 ..got a poor score of 205/85...
I have decided to quit my journey further...cause i see no point in going toward a future..where uncertainity is at its peak...
My seniors didnt help me much either...they said u can try and give it a shot and see if it works for u..make contacts...people at all forums , mostly one doesnt get replies at all..but even if one does they say " ohh i know of this guy who got matched at a score similar to yours in an university / or other programs" but seriously where are these guys...i couldnt find a single guy with low scores who matched in IM...( and please a green card really helps...for people like me...who have no green card there are slim chances)

I know of guys who had low scores didnt got matched...did research...then even didnt got matched...
Some of them took up FM...( they had applied for both)
Actually i have just heard about them...

The deal is ...no one can understand ...they always say yeah do try...its what u always wanted...and these are the guys with 230s score always...
Is there really a point to spend soo many $$ and soo much of time...just to improve ur cv...
Well some of u might disagree..but my aim was to get into a good residency...my aim isnt just going to the usa..

Is there a single guy out there who is an img...with low score...with no green card...with no contacts...just with electives... Maybe a research ...who got matched at an IM program...???

As for me...these were just thoughts accumulated over time...sorry if i discourage anyone...
I will settle for my home md now...maybe do mrcp later and apply in dubai / singapore...or maybe enter usa via the direct fellowship route..if i get in radio / anaesthesia...

All the best all....any replies..( i know hardly anyone replies on posts like these) but still....WILL BE APPRECIATED

·
Registered
395 Posts
IMG , I Haven't done any electives .. giving step 1 in oct, waiting for scheduling permit.. I shd get High score as its difficult to find externship after graduation.. Have not applied for any either.. Will decide after step 1 results.. Hope everything goes well..

I m in no position to advice anything but if I was in your position would have done the same probably.. Still your results will be valid for 7 years and that means you need not pass step 1 again in case you want to do fellowship..

Good luck.!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMG , I Haven't done any electives .. giving step 1 in oct, waiting for scheduling permit.. I shd get High score as its difficult to find externship after graduation.. Have not applied for any either.. Will decide after step 1 results.. Hope everything goes well..

I m in no position to advice anything but if I was in your position would have done the same probably.. Still your results will be valid for 7 years and that means you need not pass step 1 again in case you want to do fellowship..

Good luck.!!
Thanx man... Thanx for sympathizing atleast...:) all the best too u...
I would say anything in > 220 should be good...less than that...
You mught face difficulties ...
I even had a elective at an iv league...with 2 lors... :) still i think once a bad score...its really dfficult to get above that ...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what was ur NBME SCORE.

was it 205?????
SEE NOW THIS IS THE KINDA GUY I AM TALKING ABOUT...these people wont help u in any way.... They are just here so that they will get answers to all their queries....without even bothering about what anyone might be feeling...
I am assuming u just gave ur nbme... And i am assuming u are just windering..." hey does it really match??? Lets ask this guy ..i am sure he will answer,,,"
Well buddy...i am not like u... So here it is.,
Nbme 7 212
Nbme 11 205
U world 228

I hope u learn some forum manners... ( no offence ) all the best to u too :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
hey man... plz just donot give up.... just go for ur step2 after that decide, want to continue or quit.... but its just start of ur journey... & u told that u don't know those gyz who r doing residency with low score.. i am sending u one refrence on ur inbox just have a look try to talk with him... this guy had 86 in step one & 97 in step 2 & now he is doing residency in prince george's hospital in internal medicine.. i donot know why u r so upset.. i know in this forum or in whole world people only like to listen sucess stories, they wont listen unsucessful stories so try to make harder urself..... & i hope after 2 years u r writing Ur success story here & more then 100 thanks on Ur post...
I am not expert even i didn't give steps right now but i became very upset after reading Ur post... chill up bro just do Ur step2
Wish u Good luck:cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey man... plz just donot give up.... just go for ur step2 after that decide, want to continue or quit.... but its just start of ur journey... & u told that u don't know those gyz who r doing residency with low score.. i am sending u one refrence on ur inbox just have a look try to talk with him... this guy had 86 in step one & 97 in step 2 & now he is doing residency in prince george's hospital in internal medicine.. i donot know why u r so upset.. i know in this forum or in whole world people only like to listen sucess stories, they wont listen unsucessful stories so try to make harder urself..... & i hope after 2 years u r writing Ur success story here & more then 100 thanks on Ur post...
I am not expert even i didn't give steps right now but i became very upset after reading Ur post... chill up bro just do Ur step2
Wish u Good luck:cool:
Hmm.. Thanx for the link man... I will ask him for guidance...
And i am sorry if i made u upset...this was just accumulated for a long time now....u know it really hurts...when u see ur friends getting good scores...and it really hurts when u see them getting matched !!
But nevertheless we should be happy for them..thats what i try to do...
But it hurts at times...or i should say...most of the times....

·
Registered
224 Posts
SEE NOW THIS IS THE KINDA GUY I AM TALKING ABOUT...these people wont help u in any way.... They are just here so that they will get answers to all their queries....without even bothering about what anyone might be feeling...
I am assuming u just gave ur nbme... And i am assuming u are just windering..." hey does it really match??? Lets ask this guy ..i am sure he will answer,,,"
Well buddy...i am not like u... So here it is.,
Nbme 7 212
Nbme 11 205
U world 228

I hope u learn some forum manners... ( no offence ) all the best to u too :)
lol easy dude....

i have already done my exam, and am preparing for step 2 ck.. lol..

i just wanted to know ur nbme score because if they did show ur score around 205 then why the hell on earth will u keep cribbing about it, as u were already warned about where u are at the moment and what ur weak points are.

Uworld score always over predicts 20 pts extra... so subtracting 20 from ur uworld score u still get around 205 approx.

you dont expect a miracle to happen when ur nbme says around 205 and u go to the exam to score 230, unless u work on ur weak area..lol

so easy dude.. just understand people in this forum are here to analyse were our fellow friends have gone wrong and not to make use of them!

But must say, stop been very paranoid about the fact every 1 here wants to get max. info out of you.. Honestly no 1 really cares about what score u get and what u do after that.

we are here only to support and guide people and help them analyze where did they go wrong.

Good luck to you too :):)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree will Dr Shamil you should not quit so early in the game and should channelize all your feelings towards step2 CK , atleast give yourself a reasonable time frame to become ecfmg certified and to try your level best to get matched...... on the other side you have nothing to loose so give your best shot in CK and i am sure this CK prep will go a long way in your life even if you opt for any other clinical exam in any part of the world and lastly i quote Dr shamil words here and i trust him on that

"i hope after 2 years u r writing Ur success story here & more then 100 thanks on Ur post... ":cool:

just remember if fate wants you to be a doctor in US you will be there and no one can change/stop that! so give yourself atleast 2-3 years and then take ultimate decision :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol easy dude....

i have already done my exam, and am preparing for step 2 ck.. lol..

i just wanted to know ur nbme score because if they did show ur score around 205 then why the hell on earth will u keep cribbing about it, as u were already warned about where u are at the moment and what ur weak points are.

Uworld score always over predicts 20 pts extra... so subtracting 20 from ur uworld score u still get around 205 approx.

you dont expect a miracle to happen when ur nbme says around 205 and u go to the exam to score 230, unless u work on ur weak area..lol

so easy dude.. just understand people in this forum are here to analyse were our fellow friends have gone wrong and not to make use of them!

But must say, stop been very paranoid about the fact every 1 here wants to get max. info out of you.. Honestly no 1 really cares about what score u get and what u do after that.

we are here only to support and guide people and help them analyze where did they go wrong.

Good luck to you too :):)
Okay your nbme scores are similar to mine!!! Why the hell on earth...did u take the exam....??? Huh
I took it cause i had put in everything i could...this was the best i could do...and yeah i regret a poor score....but i dont regret my preparation...And moreover there was this feeling of saturation!!!
After the exam i still had the feeling...this is the best i could do...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Okay your nbme scores are similar to mine!!! Why the hell on earth...did u take the exam....??? Huh
I took it cause i had put in everything i could...this was the best i could do...and yeah i regret a poor score....but i dont regret my preparation...And moreover there was this feeling of saturation!!!
After the exam i still had the feeling...this is the best i could do...
lol is that the BEST COME BACK you can come up with???

If my NBME SCORE predicted that score, i did not sit and cry...........OH MY GODDDDDD my step score is low.. be bold and brave... and not a kido.

ask mummy to get you a candy.... YAAAY U PASSED THE EXAM.

Be happy with what u get, and help others who are about to do their exams and dont be greedy for more n more.lol

Dude i got no time for ur kidish whining , am leaving this topic..
so cheers!:):)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree will Dr Shamil you should not quit so early in the game and should channelize all your feelings towards step2 CK , atleast give yourself a reasonable time frame to become ecfmg certified and to try your level best to get matched...... on the other side you have nothing to loose so give your best shot in CK and i am sure this CK prep will go a long way in your life even if you opt for any other clinical exam in any part of the world and lastly i quote Dr shamil words here and i trust him on that

"i hope after 2 years u r writing Ur success story here & more then 100 thanks on Ur post... ":cool:

just remember if fate wants you to be a doctor in US you will be there and no one can change/stop that! so give yourself atleast 2-3 years and then take ultimate decision :)
And what if its not destined!!! Then what...i believe in destiny just like u... U know when i was preparing i used to have bizzare experiences
Like i never saw anyone stuck with nbme...my nbme crashed i dont know a million times...and each time it used to start...there was less time...
I was the first one to realise..that google chrome doesnt support nmbe"s ability to highlight...
Whenever i took the nbme module...there were powercuts ... My net used to go...
I developed migraine... 4 attacks in 10 days...took propranalol and topiramate for that...
I developed dyslipidemia... My genes were never good anyway...
I am still on statin therapy....

U see.... And moreover my seniors...just laughed it out... Saying just relax...all will be fine...what if it isnt...what if i end up doing mph???
Even the attending i was with during my elective...said i should probably do an mph..

See man...i am not going to usa..just for the $$ ... I want a good carrer...i want a good residency....
My life in my home country isnt crappy either...yeah usa would have been better obsv...
But at times u are just destined...i guess i will stick to my plan...
And i will probably apply for fellowships...or maybe mrcp...and go for a shorttime visit to dubai....

Thanx anyways....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol is that the BEST COME BACK you can come up with???

If my NBME SCORE predicted that score, i did not sit and cry...........OH MY GODDDDDD my step score is low.. be bold and brave... and not a kido.

ask mummy to get you a candy.... YAAAY U PASSED THE EXAM.

Be happy with what u get, and help others who are about to do their exams and dont be greedy for more n more.lol

Dude i got no time for ur kidish whining , am leaving this topic..
so cheers!:):)
Okay... Let me just tell u one thing man...
U think i didnt try...??
Well u are wrong then...u are free to leave this topic...brother..
But dont forget... Life comes a full circle... :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Ya dude, I think poor step one score is setback for all of us. We can understand your situation but you know sometimes things don't work the way we want. If it would have been worked as we wanted then there would be a different world. I know this thing sounds too theoretical but theory is always a base for a good practical experience.
I am not a guru or master to suggest you something but what I can say that. Take sometime and reduce your saturation level and then start working hard for step 2 ck and score 250+ and try to do as much observerships or research and make your CV strong.
If people say that they heard someone getting matched with a low score that means there is may be atleast single person who got match then if he or she got matched then why not me or you.
And ya one more recommendation: you know studying hard is good but studying effectively is more important. Telling my personal point; I am preparing for step 1 and I review nearly all of standard review material but I keep on forgetting stuff. As I am not an einstein son;-). So now I am changing my approach I am starting to integrated questions with my revision. By this I am able to grasp more stuff.

So overall "USMLE bye bye" or "USMLE kick your a**" it's all depend on your frontal lobe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
339 Posts
@ Examtaker:

I know what you are talking about. One advise for you: If you stop now, maybe in a couple of years you look back and say:"Da.. it, maybe I should have tried!"

So give it one more chance to do Step2 and like all others said, improve your cv and find a program that is IMG friendly.

please write me a pm, I want to know where you're from. Maybe we can help each other out;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx for the required motivation guys.... I wish i had met people like u back when i seriously needed someone !!
Well... I still dont know... Maybe fellowship is the way i will go...but yeah i will have to complete my steps even for that...( u can still be board eligible after 4 yrs of fellowship )

And hey who knows...i might just get into anaesthesia.... :) or i know this is crazy....but radiology!!
But i think the only plus point this way...would be...that if i fall...i wont go nack to being a med student in my country...trying for usa...
I will still have my residency.... And i will still have other options open :)

But thanx a ton... !!!
U know u meet good people when u are just on the verge of going insane !!

·
Registered
558 Posts
And what if its not destined!!! Then what...i believe in destiny just like u... U know when i was preparing i used to have bizzare experiences
Like i never saw anyone stuck with nbme...my nbme crashed i dont know a million times...and each time it used to start...there was less time...
I was the first one to realise..that google chrome doesnt support nmbe"s ability to highlight...
Whenever i took the nbme module...there were powercuts ... My net used to go...
I developed migraine... 4 attacks in 10 days...took propranalol and topiramate for that...
I developed dyslipidemia... My genes were never good anyway...
I am still on statin therapy....

U see.... And moreover my seniors...just laughed it out... Saying just relax...all will be fine...what if it isnt...what if i end up doing mph???
Even the attending i was with during my elective...said i should probably do an mph..

See man...i am not going to usa..just for the $$ ... I want a good carrer...i want a good residency....
My life in my home country isnt crappy either...yeah usa would have been better obsv...
But at times u are just destined...i guess i will stick to my plan...
And i will probably apply for fellowships...or maybe mrcp...and go for a shorttime visit to dubai....

Thanx anyways....
Hi Examtaker!

I am sorry about the way it all went for you.
But I have to say, I DON'T believe in destiny. I believe in everyone being able to influence their own life. I will not sit around and wait for destiny to bring something to me.

You had a hard time before your exam, I can see that. (Even though I don't see why dyslipidemia should factor into your exam preparation.) Believe me, every one of us will have a hard time before their exam. And everyone of us has had or will have some health issues. That's not an excuse for a low score. And exactly the reason why I haven't taken the exam yet.
The way I see it, once you have a goal (e.g. Radiology), you know what kind of score you should get. So aim for that score, and once one or two NBMEs actually show that kind of score you can go for the exam.
So for your Step 2, that's what you should do.
Also, don't take the exam if you don't feel good and healthy!
During preparation, be sure to do sports 5 times a week. This will keep you healthy and happy, and that's the first step to a good preparation.

Also, maybe a brush up on your English could help for Step 2, maybe take a course somewhere?

By the way, which ivy league college did you go to for electives?

Good luck in your further prep, and contact me if you need anything!

Val

1 - 20 of 66 Posts