USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your patient has been diagnosed with cancer of head of pancreas. Another clinical sign in him would be which of the following:

A) Esophageal varices
B) Hemarhoids
C) Caput medusae
D) Increase pressure in hepatic vein
E) Enlarged right supraclavicular nodes

·
Registered
177 Posts
tough question.I think that pancreatic cancer can be associated with budd chiari syndrome.So i choose D.i didn t pick b cuz they say right supraclavicular node( it should be left i think).The other choices are common sign of portal hepertension.Anyway i m waiting for the answer

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys the ans is B.Q30 of abdomen section of kaplan and there is explanation ....on page 232-----anatomy kaplan...2008...

-Carcinma of the head of pancreas in the head may compress the portal vein at its origin.
--The portal vein is formed when the splenic vein joins with the SMV.The inferior mesenteric vein joins the splenic vein just prior to the point at which the splenic joins the SMV.
--Increased venous pressure in the inferior mesenteric vein is a cause of hemorrhoids. javascript:ReportReply(2114946)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.