USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys
we know the property of dimorphic fungi- mold forms at cooler temp and yeasts at body temp.....!!!!! My question s can candida be a dimorphic fungi since it normally s single cell (yeast) but at 37 C it produces germ tubes, pseudohyphae and true hyphae?
:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember while going thru kaplan micro videos, Dr Kim said candida cannot be classified as dimorphic and she gave some reason which i dint understand:confused::confused:......so who's right?????? FA or kaplan?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I remember while going thru kaplan micro videos, Dr Kim said candida cannot be classified as dimorphic and she gave some reason which i dint understand:confused::confused:......so who's right?????? FA or kaplan?
doesn't matter.. just know that is an opportunistic systemic fungal infection, know the clinical scenario, and recognize the pseudohypae and germ tubes if they show u the picture, and also know that the germ tube formation at 37C is diagnostic. Also know who can get this infection. Also the treatment. Candida is very easy in step 1 q's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FA 2016, on p137 it says it IS dimorphic

hello guys
we know the property of dimorphic fungi- mold forms at cooler temp and yeasts at body temp.....!!!!! My question s can candida be a dimorphic fungi since it normally s single cell (yeast) but at 37 C it produces germ tubes, pseudohyphae and true hyphae?
:confused::confused::confused:
so yes, it is dimorphic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts